Unusual Place to See..... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Place to See..... ?

Went for a head clearing walk this afternoon down to St Mary's Island at Whitley Bay , took the camera down as there are quite a lot of waders around the foreshore , while walking along the Promenade a flash of Turquoise flew by just below the promenade level , Wow ! i said , then Naw it can't be ...... Then a couple of hundred yards along a fellow stoller said if you hurry along there's a couple of Kingfishers sitting by the large rock pools just up there , at that moment another flash of turquise went by and landed in the distance.....

5D4_2355

5D4_2356

5D4_2358

Is it Unuslal for Kingfishers to be seen on the seashore because i always thought they were Freshwater birds ?

Talking to another photographer i was informed that this is the 2nd day in a row they've been seen down on the shore .

Didn't post these in the photographic forum because they are heavily cropped .
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Re: Unusual Place to See..... ?

They are indeed freshwater river/lake species, but in the harsher months, especially if there is some freezing in the rivers, they will migrate downstream to the seashore.
    Colin

Comment

They simply follow the food supply ,if fish are not available in the ponds or streams they take the next available supply

Comment

more like feed up with you guys pointing monster lenses at them so found a safe place to hang out and chill :)
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          more like feed up with you guys pointing monster lenses at them so found a safe place to hang out and chill :)
          That could also be true.
          Colin

Comment

A regular sight near me, Montrose Basin is a tidal lagoon and you can see the Kingfishers coming off the water with shrimps in their beaks.
            Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Working...
            X