LR alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LR alternative

Been a lot of discussion on here about LR alternatives (personally quite happy with LR) darktable has finally been ported to Windows, free too. Still some limitations but could be worth a look.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to Lightroom for managing and processing your raw photos, there's some good news: the free and open source
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: LR alternative

Luminar for me, the only thing that is keeping my using LR is the library system but Macphun are working on that and will be ready early next year they say, then I will drop LR as Luminar is an excellent processor
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

We use On1 Raw - the misses has dropped LR and uses this along with PS6. I refuse to pay a sub to Adobe as no matter how much I pay - I wont own the programme - this way I do.
      Dave

Comment

You can buy official lightroom/Photoshop licence's on eBay, Iirc I paid £14 for Photoshop and £11 for lightroom...mine forever!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          Luminar for me, the only thing that is keeping my using LR is the library system but Macphun are working on that and will be ready early next year they say, then I will drop LR as Luminar is an excellent processor
          What do Skylum count as early next year? It seems to have gone a bit quiet if late on that front...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
            What do Skylum count as early next year? It seems to have gone a bit quiet if late on that front...
            my gut feeling is Skylum shouldn't have launched its Windows versions and right now they are trying to keep customers happy throwing as many updates as possible addressing problems and running like the Mac versions.. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see this till the end of the year ..

Its a real shame the Windows versions are so buggy and lame compared with the Mac versions as its stunning software and once the library system in place a lot will leave LR...

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I do get the feeling they’ve spread themselves a bit thin. Unfortunately they’ve handled it by some fairly aggressive message management on Facebook which was the final nail in the coffin for me. Well that and the fact I do my processing mainly on an iPad now which is rather more of a blocker.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                I do get the feeling they’ve spread themselves a bit thin. Unfortunately they’ve handled it by some fairly aggressive message management on Facebook which was the final nail in the coffin for me. Well that and the fact I do my processing mainly on an iPad now which is rather more of a blocker.
                its a shame its excellent software, least the mac version is

Comment

my gut feeling is Skylum shouldn't have launched its Windows versions
                  For those for whom image processing is the main function of their computer it's easy to forget that overall Windows users far outnumber Mac users, sticking to Mac only isn't really commercially viable these days.
                  Personally, I use Affinity, it's cheap enough and does everything I need and more. It was developed for Mac originally, but the Windows version works perfectly, as far as I have been able to tell.
                  EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Draig View Post
                    We use On1 Raw - the misses has dropped LR and uses this along with PS6. I refuse to pay a sub to Adobe as no matter how much I pay - I wont own the programme - this way I do.
                    I also have been playing with ON1 Raw 2018 as a LR replacement. So far, I am impressed with it as it not only does most of what LR does, it also gives Photoshop a run for it’s money.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                      For those for whom image processing is the main function of their computer it's easy to forget that overall Windows users far outnumber Mac users, sticking to Mac only isn't really commercially viable these days.
                      Personally, I use Affinity, it's cheap enough and does everything I need and more. It was developed for Mac originally, but the Windows version works perfectly, as far as I have been able to tell.
                      A couple of points. I don’t think either Ian or I suggested that a windows version of Luminar is a mistake. As far as I’m concerned it’s a matter of timing. At present they’re DAM has been coming soon since the first release but aside from the odd video, I don’t know that anyone has seen it in the wild. Then there was the performance side of things, not addressed in the 2017 version.

To start work on a windows version without hitting those either problems or promises is not a good idea. Working on a windows build has diverted attention from delivering on the mac front which has turned off a number of users that would otherwise have been fans and pushed the product.

As for needing to build product for windows, well this bunch seem to be doing well building iOS and OS X products only - https://www.omnigroup.com/about - and MacPhun that was had a long history of being Mac only until Luminar.

Comment

I recently undertook, with some colleagues, an exercise to eveluate the RAW conversion and general editing abilities of many of the commonly avilable software packages for my Camera Club. The results were a bit of an eye opener. All of the software that we tested performed well but there were interesting differences, with some being more capable with landscapes and outdoor subjects and others better with flash, artificially lit subjects and portraits.
                        The conclusion that we came to was that you should use the software that is the closest match to the way you want to work. As for myself.
                        1. Import to Lightroom
                        2. Use personal presets to make adjustments
                        3. Select files to be edited in detail
                        4. Edit using Photoshop
                        5. Print or output edited files (Jpegs for inter club competitions)
                        I keep the majority of my RAW files just as I kept all my negatives, I keep the PSD files I only keep Jpegs of the competition files antil the competition is past.
                        Storage is cheap so I don't worry about using it.
                        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X