Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 80D

Hi All

does anyone know how I can get a shutter count from my EOS 80D.

Thanks in advance

Re: EOS 80D

I understand that this facility has been removed from the latest Canon camera bodies and even previous paid for apps can't access the info. Part of the reason is the disparity between a number of secs of live view/filming, as opposed to one still shot. If you are commercially shooting video, the body could be nearly worn out, but only show a couple of thousand on the shutter count apps.

It would appear that for the likes of you and me, no information is better than misleading information. However, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of Canon to come up with a shutter count and live view hrs.
    Colin

Comment

How does live view/filming relate to shutter count Colin? As far as I can tell, for live mode the shutter release is just a shutter release so unless Canon have made a glaring error it should be counted as just that. For Video, according to what I've read it's an electronic shutter not mechanical that's used. Ans thinking about it, it can't be the mechanical shutter as a 7D2, for example, can shoot video at 25 or 50fps which is way beyond the 10fps it's rated for.

Unless I've misread something here...

Edited to add a slight caveat. For live view exposure I suspect the process is the same as a mirrorless camera so shutter starts open. When you take the shot, the shutter closes, then opens and closes as normal for the shot, then opens to return to live view. So two shutter actuations for each live view shot. Still not beyond the whit of man to account for that.
      Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 02-01-2018, 12:46.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Shutter Count from Dire Studio is compatible with many EOS cameras, including the 80D.

I have used Shutter Count for several years and it appears to give accurate results. A version for Windows was available last year, but currently Dire Studio only offers Shutter Count for MacOS 10.7 or later, also iPhone and iPad (iOS 10 and later).

A Shutter Count Live View add-on pack also records shutter actuations for Live View and movie shooting. Starting and stopping Live View is a single shutter actuation, irrespective of the time Live View is active. Similarly, shooting a movie sequence is a single actuation - the shutter opens at the start and closes at the end.

EOS magazine subscribers can read more about Shutter Count on page 12 of the October-December 2017 issue of EOS magazine. If you are not a subscriber, click the link at the top of this page for more information.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
          A Shutter Count Live View add-on pack also records shutter actuations for Live View and movie shooting. Starting and stopping Live View is a single shutter actuation, irrespective of the time Live View is active.
          Robert, does this suggest that the shutter for exposures in live view is electronic only?
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Seems like the Dire Studio apps are only for Apple users .........?
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
              Robert, does this suggest that the shutter for exposures in live view is electronic only?
              No. When you press the shutter button while in Live View the shutter is activated again, meaning that firing in Live View gives at least two activations. It is only in movie mode that you are using an 'electronic shutter'.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                No. When you press the shutter button while in Live View the shutter is activated again, meaning that firing in Live View gives at least two activations. It is only in movie mode that you are using an 'electronic shutter'.
                Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't quite sure which it was.

Comment

Thanks to all for the comments. Looks like I will have to find a friend that has an apple mac

Happy New Year to one and all

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X