Challenge 138 - "New beginnings"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 138 - "New beginnings"

Since we are only a day or two into the New Year of 2018, I thought it might be appropriate to reflect that in the challenge.

I am therefore looking for images which illustrate “New beginnings”, despite the fact that this subject was set exactly 4 years ago and attracted only 3 entries!

I am open to any and all interpretations of what that might mean, whether animal, vegetable, mineral or social and so I hope you will be able to better that number of entries (two challenges in one perhaps?).

Judging will be based on my assessment of how effective the image is in satisfying the brief, but please remember I am no expert and so it will be very much a personal thing.

Please read the general rules below:-

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday 21st January, giving you 3 weekends to produce your masterpiece.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Challenge 138 - "New beginnings"

Just a bump
    John Liddle

Comment

Hi John
      Just to let you know you are not being ignored!! I have a couple of ideas I am working on, so one will get posted!!
      Andrew

Comment

Me too....working on it!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

What will it be next?
          Recycle.jpg by Andrew Bird, on Flickr
          Andrew

Comment

Blossom
            _MG_8084.jpg
            www.flickr.com/photos/ileafy/
            www.instagram.com/leafydragonphotography/

Comment

New Shoots

New Shoots
              by AlexR!, on Flickr
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

New Beginnings - A new cyclamen with high aspirations!
                New Beginnings by Ian, on Flickr
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

New Beginnings by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I am so sorry - with everything else going on and the weather so . .. .rubbish. . . . I haven't picked my camera up since before new year, I have run around the house looking for 'something' and haven't found anything 'new'.

.DAVID.
                    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for posting your comment David....I didn't realise the closing date had crept up so fast....so here is my entry
                      (EOS200D 24mm STM 1/320 f5 ISO3200)

_MG_8454.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

OK folks - time's up!

Thanks to all who posted entries - I will try to get back with the result ASAP (other commitments permitting).
                        John Liddle

Comment

Thanks to all those who entered - I realise that the transition into the new year is not the best time for weather or opportunities. We also had the excitement of Andy's Showcase at the same time - in hindsight, I should probably have added a couple of weeks to the end date to allow the dust to settle and for people to get out and about a bit more.

However, here are my thoughts on an interesting set of entries (please remember I am no expert, just an enthusiast).

Andrew (Birdy)
                          Just what I was hoping for - a left-field interpretation of the brief. Good DOF and pleasing positioning of the various items.

ileafy
                          I like the concept, but for me the foreground flower fails to stand out sufficiently from its peers (particularly the one at around 10:00 o'clock). The dark background is fine and the shallow DOF helps. It might have been worth trying to get in a position where the subject blossom had greater separation from the rest (easy to say I know, sometimes the circumstances conspire against you).

AlexR!
                          Yes, it's that time of year - the march of the bulbs has begun! A classic interpretation. You have craftily positioned the camera (presumably on a tripod at 1/13 seconds) to give an in-focus plane which cuts across the middle distance of the image.

Ian (Farider)
                          The 100 mm macro gives a lovely shallow DOF and a nice bokeh to the background foliage. The bud is nice and sharp and I love the colours.

Chris
                          I guess this is one of those "right place, right time" opportunities and you captured it well. I like the symmetry of the pupae and the detail in the (presumably) newly-emerged butterfly. A quintissential new beginning very nicely captured.

Brian
                          Another inventive interpretation, well carried off. A nice sharp field of focus on the pen nib (how many of us still has one of those I wonder?). The image softens as you follow along the line of writing giving a sense of the many possibilities that the story could follow from the standard beginning.

All of the entries had merit, but after a bit of tooth-sucking, my preference in reverse order is:-

Third: Andrew
                          Second: Brian
                          First: Chris

Grateful thanks to those who entered (and come on the rest of you - it isn't too hard and it's a bit of fun!), and congratulations Chris - over to you for the next challenge.
                          John Liddle

Comment

Thank you for running the contest and judging John. Congrats to the top 3 and to Chris for winning - a fantastic image!
                            www.flickr.com/photos/ileafy/
                            www.instagram.com/leafydragonphotography/

Comment

Ooh, there's a nice surprise! Thanks very much to John for setting the challenge and of course to everyone who entered.

I will admit that there's quite a lot of post-processing on my final image as the puparium was covered in a lot of condensation. I managed a shot through a gap with chrysalises in focus and another shot with the butterfly in focus so it's actually a bit of a composite. The shot could have been taken given ideal conditions and access to the other side of the glass, however!

I have a couple of ideas knocking around my head for the next challenge and once I've decided which one to go for I will make the post so watch this space.
                              Chris
                              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                              X