If You Go Down To The Woods Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If You Go Down To The Woods Today...

This is a grab shot from the WHR train in Wales during one of the rare dry and sunny periods while I was there last year.
    IMG_2798_AuroraHDR2018-edit by John Leah, on Flickr

While I initially liked it and saw potential I couldn't escape the thought that it needed 'something' especially in the top right so had a play in Luminosity to add the sun ray. Now I'm not so sure.

Welsh Woods 2017 by John Leah, on Flickr

Both look better in Flickr.

What do you think?

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 06-01-2018, 19:18.

Re: If You Go Down To The Woods Today...

I quite like the original but the rays just don’t look real. They’re also coming from the wrong place and should be more central, if you look at the shadows of the trees in the centre of the shot.

John

Comment

2 nice shots but yes I agree you put the rays in the wrong place, but thats easy to sort out :) I would also crop out the blown out sky at the top, but you can still use the rays
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

prefer the first but on screen it looks a bit oversharped - could be the flickr download
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks folks, I appreciate the views and comments (even if a ratio of 3:70 is petty uninspiring )

I've decided I don't like the rays so have dumped that edit. I also cropped a bit from the top of the original which was a bit blown. Indeed, the original original (IYSWIM) was blown so I cropped and then placed the rays at the most blown spot - I know the rays didn't seem aligned with the central shadow but thought they were on the money for the shadows leading to the left corner.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

I quite like the first image, there does appear somewhere for the viewer to go into the scene

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul, I agree. I think what drove me to make the edit was a desire to obscure the slightly blown top right missing entirely that the eye is being led from the bottom left/bottom centre and out through the middle distance so the top right is less important. Well that's my excuse

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Working...
              X