EOS magazine advert MPB advertThe Photography Show
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A move towards the dark side

Default Re: A move towards the dark side

Looking at the weather forecast for the next few days it's likely to be c**p here so I took a couple of images of a sapling cage around 30 metres away. 2000mm for the Nikon and 600mm for the 7DII/Sigma. Obviously the Canon had to be substantially cropped to compare with the P900 image, exposures near enough equivalent. No PP except of course the Canon was converted from RAW in LR whereas the P900 is straight out of the camera. Personally I can hardly see any difference that couldn't be adjusted in PP. Just confirms that the P900 will do OK for what I need.

Canon/Sigma:
    591A2141 by DAVID MORISON, on Flickr

P900
    DSCN1008 by DAVID MORISON, on Flickr

David
    Last edited by David Morison; 11-01-2018 at 14:33.
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

the bokeh on the Canon is a lot better and for your bird game I would have thought a massive factor? but that is a problem with smaller cameras that will will never get as good bokeh as you do with a SLR... I do think however most of these bridge cameras offer bokeh effect so could be worth checking that out ..

But otherwise I agree, excellent results and considering the kit your carrying around with the Canon and weight its a stunning result...you really can see why people are moving to these smaller bridge cameras !! 20-2000 AMAZING
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Member*

I am glad this thread has not been deleted , it makes the most interesting reading .Thanks for going to all the trouble with the comparison photos David . There is no doubt you can get exceptional results with the Nikon , if you take the time to use it properly , makes you wonder how much you could squeeze out of it if it had raw shooting ability . Perhaps Bridge type cameras will be the future , but not there yet for me .

Member*

I'm somewhat surprised it doesn't support raw. The Sony compact I had was a similar sensor - possibly a similar design as Nikon have theirs made by Sony - and I used it in raw mode which made a world of difference.

Nikon are probably scared of cannibalising their DSLR sales if they make the Bridge cameras too good...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised it doesn't support raw. The Sony compact I had was a similar sensor - possibly a similar design as Nikon have theirs made by Sony - and I used it in raw mode which made a world of difference.

Nikon are probably scared of cannibalising their DSLR sales if they make the Bridge cameras too good...
    agree thats odd even my wifes little Fuji did Raw, but you could be right having a bridge with that zoom and Raw could well stop many buying Nikon SLRs
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12