The Angel Returns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Angel Returns.

I came across this shot recently, taken on Brownsea Island, where there is a colony of Sandwich Terns.

Colin Cross_The Angel Returns by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: The Angel Returns.

wow thats stunning shot, great timing
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

superb shot Colin

Comment

Stunning. Well captured Colin

Tom

Comment

Very nice. I see it was shot way back in 2010 before they fenced the islands, so a shot that has been almost impossible since
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

That is an excellent shot, so different from the normal BIF shots
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Great capture Colin
              Steve ( LSINWP )
              1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Cracking shot, lovely detail in the wings and the meal

Paul

Comment

Wow stunning.

Comment

Superb Colin, seen many shots with this pose but none as good

Alan

Comment

Great image as always
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Wow! Just wow!
                        Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          Very nice. I see it was shot way back in 2010 before they fenced the islands, so a shot that has been almost impossible since
                          Sorry Stan, I knew it was an older shot when I "found" it, but I wasn't aware it was that old. However, going back over my more recent visits to Brownsea, I still managed a few without the fences.

For those that don't know Brownsea, you need a little planning to get the "Angel" shots. The Sandwich Terns, like all birds, land into the wind to slow them down enough to land. Bearing in mind the hide locations, that means the wind has to come from the South West, or South South West to get the Angel effect. Wind from the north gets you some very nice shots from the rear and from the east or west gets you side views. You also need bright overcast light, rather than hard sunlight (to exercise some control over the highlights and shadows) and for direction, that needs to be early to late afternoon light. You also need the time of the year when they are bringing Sand Eels back to the nest to feed the young before they fledge, ideally early June to mid July. Finally, you have to be quick enough to get the shot, as they transition from level fight to flare for landing very quickly after running the gauntlet of mobbing Black Headed Gulls.

So there is a lot of planning, or a lot of luck, or a lot of both to get the shot.

C18I6859 by Colin Cross, on Flickr

C18I6863a by Colin Cross, on Flickr
                          Colin

Comment

Wow! Beautiful shots, Colin. I don't want to take anything away from you by allowing that any of those were down to luck. You obviously put plenty of effort into the planning phase.
                            Chris
                            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Something I learnt many years ago: Perfect Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. So I try to plan shots as much as possible, but I am still more than happy to take advantage of opportunities as and when they present themselves.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X