Butterflies @ RHS Wisley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterflies @ RHS Wisley

A few of the butterflies from the annual Butterflies in the Glasshouse event at RHS Wisley.

IMG_4005 by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Blue Morpho by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Blue Morpho by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

White Morpho by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Butterflies @ RHS Wisley

Stunning Chris, especially the second one
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Very nice Chris.
      Colin

Comment

Some nice ones on your Flickr site as well. Will be going there myself in next two or three weeks.

John

Comment

stunning work and great use of the 100 macro....must dust mine of and start using it
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Butterfly houses are always a good standby for a rainy day but so difficult to get them against a non distracting background so 2 and 4 would be the pick.

Did you use flash ? - I always shoot with the ring flash on the Canon 100 macro and shoot manual so the background is underexposed and leave the flash to light the subject, that way most of the time any distractions just disappear

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Thanks for looking, everyone. When I went last year I didn't have a macro lens so used the 55-250. The macro was a big improvement although I do still struggle a bit with the complete lack of DOF with large apertures.

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              Did you use flash ? - I always shoot with the ring flash on the Canon 100 macro and shoot manual so the background is underexposed and leave the flash to light the subject, that way most of the time any distractions just disappear
              I was conscious of trying to get a decent background but it's nearly always tricky and sometimes impossible. There were some potential shots that I didn't actually take owing to an extremely messy background so I am learning. Slowly.

These were mostly shot with no flash, but I did use it on some, e.g. on #4 hence the shadow. My only option for flash currently is the built-in one, which is not ideal. I aim to go back again so will try some different shot settings.
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Nice set Chris

Tom

Comment

Stunning Chris.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for looking, Tom & Tony.
                    Chris

Comment

Lovely photos

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Super set

Comment

Thanks Jeff, and "Gee".
                          Chris

Comment

Working...
                          X