Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EF 100/400 L IS USM lens mark 2 (new purchase)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 100/400 L IS USM lens mark 2 (new purchase)

Hi Everyone!
    New to this forum and new to photography, I have a question about the canon lens in the title, I have the 750d body, and I wanted to make sure that this lens is compatible, by way of image stabilizing working ok, I have spoken to retail outlets like Jessops, but I get the feeling by the glazed look they are not really sure.
    I hope someone could help with this
    regards Chester

Re: EF 100/400 L IS USM lens mark 2 (new purchase)

Hi Chester

I have just purchased the same lens.
    It works perfectly on any crop camera such as the Canon 750D, 80D, 70D, 7D mkII, etc..
    It is an EF lens which works on both full-frame and crop cameras.
    It is the EF-S lenses that only work on crop cameras so if you buy EF lenses then you are safe even if you upgrade to full-frame in the future.

Hope it helps
    Stephen
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Hi Stephen
      That's great news, thanks for putting my mind at ease, its not a cheap piece of kit so I just wanted to make sure.

Chester

Comment

Originally posted by CHESTER View Post
        Hi Everyone!
        New to this forum and new to photography, I have a question about the canon lens in the title, I have the 750d body, and I wanted to make sure that this lens is compatible, by way of image stabilizing working ok, I have spoken to retail outlets like Jessops, but I get the feeling by the glazed look they are not really sure.
        I hope someone could help with this
        regards Chester
        That just about describes Jessops all right - a retail outlet not a photographic shop and with the emphasis on shifting stock regardless of whether they know what they're talking about...

The IS system works on all EOS cameras right back to the days of film so you'll be fine with your 750D.
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hi Nigel
          Yes it was hard going ....the only solid info I got was how quick they could order one in...

Comment

It's worth keeping an eye out on Camerapricebuster. It's how I picked up mine for a little over £1600 which a bit more than the cost of a grey import from HDEW at the time but worth the extra for me.

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/...IS-II-USM-Lens
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Yes it was hard going ....the only solid info I got was how quick they could order one in...
              I bought mine on 4th Jan (2 weeks ago) from WEX (website link) for £1789.00 and then had 10% off, so paid £1610.10 then claimed £215 cashback from Canon so eventually paid £1395.10.
              To me that was a very good price and included free next day delivery.

Stephen

flickr

Comment

Great advice....thanks to all

Comment

btw h.dew is a trusted seller and there warranty work if needed is carried out by a canon authorised centre

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    btw h.dew is a trusted seller and there warranty work if needed is carried out by a canon authorised centre
                    Thanks everyone for the help, I was also wondering about the importance of a uv lens to screw in the end? worth the money?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help, I was also wondering about the importance of a uv lens to screw in the end? worth the money?
                      It is far cheaper to replace the filter glass than the lens glass :)
                      So you decide.

I always place protective filters on my lenses.

flickr

Comment

I very strongly recommend reading this article. It's from Lens Rental, who deal with tens of thousands of lenses every year.

It's an example of how a UV filter did have a very negative impact on the image quality of a lens:

The important part perhaps comes right at the end :
                        just because a filter has a name brand on the side you recognize doesn’t mean it’s a good filter. For example, you can buy Tiffen or Hoya brand 77mm protective filters for $15-$18, or a better quality one of the same brand for about $35 , or top-quality for $70+ at a reputable dealer. The $15 filter is not the same quality as the $70 even though they both have the same brand on the side.

It's also worth looking at the other article which he provides a link to near the end, in which he says :
                        if you buy a $30 filter, then it can impact the image a lot. Waviness in the thickness of glass, poor coatings, poor quality glass, even shiny metal in the mounting ring can cause problems. If you choose to buy a cheap filter, you’ll probably see effects if you look critically; although it won’t be in every shot. You may see some effect on absolute sharpness, but you’re far more likely to see effects from light flare, ugly bokeh, ghosting, and reflections.

So the message is, if you want to buy a filter for protection make sure it's a good one, don't try to save money by putting a cheap filter on an expensive lens.

The Lens Rentals blog is one of the best sites I know, because they deal with thousands of loans every week so they know the strengths and weaknesses of practically any piece of photographic equipment, plus they do very detailed test reports. Their comments are therefore "evidence based" rather than the sort of half baked personal opinions which are so common on the internet.
                        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                          I very strongly recommend reading this article. It's from Lens Rental, who deal with tens of thousands of lenses every year.

It's an example of how a UV filter did have a very negative impact on the image quality of a lens:

The important part perhaps comes right at the end :
                          just because a filter has a name brand on the side you recognize doesn’t mean it’s a good filter. For example, you can buy Tiffen or Hoya brand 77mm protective filters for $15-$18, or a better quality one of the same brand for about $35 , or top-quality for $70+ at a reputable dealer. The $15 filter is not the same quality as the $70 even though they both have the same brand on the side.

It's also worth looking at the other article which he provides a link to near the end, in which he says :
                          if you buy a $30 filter, then it can impact the image a lot. Waviness in the thickness of glass, poor coatings, poor quality glass, even shiny metal in the mounting ring can cause problems. If you choose to buy a cheap filter, you’ll probably see effects if you look critically; although it won’t be in every shot. You may see some effect on absolute sharpness, but you’re far more likely to see effects from light flare, ugly bokeh, ghosting, and reflections.

So the message is, if you want to buy a filter for protection make sure it's a good one, don't try to save money by putting a cheap filter on an expensive lens.

The Lens Rentals blog is one of the best sites I know, because they deal with thousands of loans every week so they know the strengths and weaknesses of practically any piece of photographic equipment, plus they do very detailed test reports. Their comments are therefore "evidence based" rather than the sort of half baked personal opinions which are so common on the internet.
                          Thanks for that, I was looking at a Hoya MC-PLUS...I think they are around £70...hoping that is a good one.

Comment

Thanks for that, I was looking at a Hoya MC-PLUS...I think they are around £70...hoping that is a good one.
                            I use Hoya on all my lenses that will accept a screw-in filter.
                            Colin

Comment

I won’t have one anywhere near my lenses apart from a CPL or starburst when needed. I tend to look after my lenses and have never felt the need to protect them further .i have also over the years been asked by so many friends and acquaintances why there I.q is poor when there lenses have such a good write up ,in every single instance simply getting them to remove there u./v filter has cured the problem .
                              Even so called reputable and expensive ones have caused problems ,I can only surmise that there’s a lot of fakes out there ,so getting a good one is a lottery

Comment

Working...
                              X