Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EF 100/400 L IS USM lens mark 2 (new purchase)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EF 100/400 L IS USM lens mark 2 (new purchase)

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
    I won’t have one anywhere near my lenses apart from a CPL or starburst when needed. I tend to look after my lenses and have never felt the need to protect them further .i have also over the years been asked by so many friends and acquaintances why there I.q is poor when there lenses have such a good write up ,in every single instance simply getting them to remove there u./v filter has cured the problem .
    Even so called reputable and expensive ones have caused problems ,I can only surmise that there’s a lot of fakes out there ,so getting a good one is a lottery
    I understand that, but isn't it the point of U.V. protection that is the issue or am I being to anal about it.

Comment

Film was sensitive to UV light and so a filter was useful to screen it out in some circumstances. Digital sensors aren't affected by UV, or only very slightly, and so the only real reason for using a UV filter these days is to protect the front lens from accidental damage.
      I normally have a lens hood attached, and this is at least as good as, or sometimes better than, a UV filter for protection.
      In any case, many tests have shown that even quite big scratches, or plenty of dust, have no measurable impact on image quality, much less than a poor UV filter does. The main reason for avoiding scratches on your lenses is that it reduces the resale value.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

To be honest I've never been convinced that UV filters really make that much difference. The idea is that they reduce the blue haze caused by light scattering that can blight landscape pictures but I have pictures shot with and without UV and frankly I can't see a significant difference.

A lot of my lenses have filters on them (UV or Skylight) but others don't and I can't say I can see any difference in image quality either - perhaps I'm more tolerant than others or the difference just isn't there...

As it happens I live near the coast and one very definite advantage for lens protection filters is photographing by the sea in windy/stormy weather where it's simpler and quicker to wipe a flat filter clean than a lens objective plus, if the worst happens and a piece of sand or grit has stuck to the surface a filter is cheaper to replace than a scratched lens.
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
          To be honest I've never been convinced that UV filters really make that much difference. The idea is that they reduce the blue haze caused by light scattering that can blight landscape pictures but I have pictures shot with and without UV and frankly I can't see a significant difference.

A lot of my lenses have filters on them (UV or Skylight) but others don't and I can't say I can see any difference in image quality either - perhaps I'm more tolerant than others or the difference just isn't there...

As it happens I live near the coast and one very definite advantage for lens protection filters is photographing by the sea in windy/stormy weather where it's simpler and quicker to wipe a flat filter clean than a lens objective plus, if the worst happens and a piece of sand or grit has stuck to the surface a filter is cheaper to replace than a scratched lens.
          Thanks everyone for the advice, I also live on the coast so may be usefull for that kinda stuff..cheers

Comment

I live as far away as it's possible to be in the UK, so not a problem for me. But if you want to see what a small amount of salt water can do to a camera read this :

True, it's a Sony but the principle remains.

And if you can't be bothered to read the article this is how the author summarises things :
            "The beach is the sworn enemy of your gear. If the salt-spray doesn’t get you, the sand will. When you go into hostile territory, take appropriate precautions"
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

My own evidence points to me quite liking Jessops in Aberdeen, helpful and knowledgeable, have been most helpful to me in the past. With regards to filters, I did buy them and I did stop using them(in my bag but I agree with Jeff, they do spoil most images when taking wildlife images). I live one mile from the sea and spend a lot of time on the cliffs, rocks and beaches, no problem with salt or sand with either my 100-400 mk1 lens or my 1Div body.
              Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Some years ago I sold a sigma 120-400 zoom to a friend ,it was one of my very first zoom lenses and it was also at that period of time a very sharp lens ,my mate had the same camera body as me the 50D and I had set the camera up for him .the week after the sale we were out together and he said I can’t get sharp shots with this lens ,so I said let me have a try and yes even looking through the viewfinder the image was blurry .i took off the lens hood and you guessed it he had fitted a u.v filter bought off the bay of E . I took it off ,looked through the viewfinder and it was sharp as a razor . Point taken

Comment

Not sure if you have bought this lens yet, haven't read the whole thread, but you might want to consider a good quality MK1 version of this lens. I just bought mine second hand, and it is amazing, I love it. It cost me a third of the retail price of the MK2.

Just saying lol.
                  [Canon 7D Mk II .. gripped] [Canon 500D .. gripped] [EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM] [EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM] [EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM] [EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit] [Speedlite 430EX II] [Cokin P filter system ]

My Photos
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Life-...05270809634981
                  https://www.facebook.com/markkaye38/...2158274&type=3
                  @mkphotography7dii Instagram

Comment

Slightly belatedly, but having bought a 100-400 II last week I wanted to add a couple of things. Firstly it's back in the Summer cashback (it wasn't in the last one, just the one that ended in January) and for even more (£265 vs £215 in Jan). However the street price has gone zooming upwards since then (£1949) so you really need to look for a deal. Ideally by phoning and asking as Canon would get annoyed if they advertised too low a price, or waiting for a show. (I got a very good deal BTW, not mail order and not grey.)

On protection/UV filters I think they can be an idea if you buy the really good ones, the main issue being at night with bright lights in the frame, as that illuminates the sensor and that then reflects back from the inside of the filter and puts a (usually green) splodge in the image. This means you may well want to remove the filter for night shots. I probably have filters for protection on two thirds of my lenses. After some experiments I think the B+W MRC Nano ones are the best (the Hoya HD one I bought is bad for night reflections), but so expensive you might start thinking you should buy a cheaper filter to protect it
                    Also it depends on what you shoot, but having found I've got a greasy paw print on the front of a lens and something was going to happen just then I would wipe it off with whatever was handy, which made me think a filter was a plan. However also note on a number of Canon's lenses the front element is a simple one that is reasonably priced to replace.
                    Last edited by DrJon; 20-05-2018, 09:18.

Comment

P.S. I find with a 5-series body it fits nicely in a:

Although you'll want a better strap.

Comment

Working...
                      X