set or seti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set or seti

playing around with close ups and lighting earlier on ,before the return of my macro lens just to see what works best ,I had a godox l.e.d panel in the drawer I have had for years and it gave really good lighting on a couple of subjects .not sure now whether to invest in a larger 200+ panel or go for a l.e.d ring flash .I already have a speed light and diffusers but find the light and shadows a bit harsh ..gives me something to do while the weather bad anyway

set up by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Re: set or seti

Concur with your comment Jeff on harsh the lighting from speedlites. The supplied diffusers do nothing as I have found, I’ve got better results either bouncing the flash or using a separate diffuser screen some distance from the speedlite. The lighting you used here seems have worked nicely but as an image of an object my preference would be to have it all in focus.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

agree with Ian re focusing - are LED ring flashes any good ? I tried one some time ago and it had no power and bought a normal ring flash in the end
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

LED ring flashes are very under powered, mainly useful for extremely close up (true macro) work. I bought a Meike normal ring flash for about £70, seems to do everything the Canon does (looks like an exact clone) and works very well.
        But with a subject like this I think ring flash would give horrid reflections.
        I'd be tempted to use the speedlite well off camera with a reflector or soft box.
        You can also get a couple of anglepoise type desk lamps and use full size LED bulbs, surprisingly effective for a table top setup
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

The little godox l.e.d panel I used here has surprised me with the amount of light it throws out . It’s only about 3 inches x 3 inches with two power settings the one I’m looking at is a lot larger with a 3200k and a 5500k (daylight) setting and also incorporates a swivel type mount .things are moving on in this market and I’ll make my choice when the macro has been tested with the current one .
          As for focus on this photo my dear critique friends it was done purely to test out the lighting and used a plain sheet of paper as background ,I am also looking at getting a small home studio box for indoor macro use hence I wasn’t concerned about focus etc as it was purely test conditions .

To top it off my lad is selling most of his wildlife gear due to lack of use and last night I bought a very lightweight jobu gimbal head off him Spent out now till next Xmas

Comment

Working...
          X