Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 105 ex dg os hsm macro lens

Greetings all!
    Well its time to spend more money! Does anyone have the Sigma 105 macro lens in there bag ? Watched a few Youtube clips on this and it looks decent value for money? How does it compare to the Canon 100mm macro red ring model for clarity?
    Chester

Re: Sigma 105 ex dg os hsm macro lens

Yes, I have this, always been very happy with it. The IS system makes a few clicks and odd noises, but that's nothing to worry about, just the way it works.
    Personally, I never watch Youtube videos, prefer proper technical reviews. Try this one, a very reliable tester :

There's also a review on full format on the same site, not sure which body you have. And you can compare it to the Canon.

They give the Sigma "Highly recommended" and say "The Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM OS macro is an impressive lens - both on in its native full format scope and even more so on APS-C format cameras".

By the way, don't be put off by the fact that it gets worse at F16 and much more so at F22, every lens does, it's the result of diffraction which is an aspect of physics which the lens manufacturers can't do anything about. If you look at tests of other lenses on the site, you'll see the same, though they don't generally test apertures narrower than F11 for that very reason.

Good true macro work (as opposed to close up) takes a lot of thought and practice, not as easy as it might seem.........
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
      Yes, I have this, always been very happy with it. The IS system makes a few clicks and odd noises, but that's nothing to worry about, just the way it works.
      Personally, I never watch Youtube videos, prefer proper technical reviews. Try this one, a very reliable tester :

There's also a review on full format on the same site, not sure which body you have. And you can compare it to the Canon.

They give the Sigma "Highly recommended" and say "The Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM OS macro is an impressive lens - both on in its native full format scope and even more so on APS-C format cameras".

By the way, don't be put off by the fact that it gets worse at F16 and much more so at F22, every lens does, it's the result of diffraction which is an aspect of physics which the lens manufacturers can't do anything about. If you look at tests of other lenses on the site, you'll see the same, though they don't generally test apertures narrower than F11 for that very reasn
      Good true macro work (as opposed to close up) takes a lot of thought and practice, not as easy as it might seem.........
      Thanks Richard, great help, Im looking forward to learning about macro photography...a challenge indeed!

Comment

Yes I own it, very sharp... Richard has covered it all tbh... You won't regret buying it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by supergeeman View Post
          Yes I own it, very sharp... Richard has covered it all tbh... You won't regret buying it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
          Thanks super!

Comment

I would seriously also look at the Sigma 150mm , even in Macro terms the more reach you have the better . I have the Canon MKll 100mm Macro , it`s a superb lens and works well with the Kenco 1.4 converter , to be honest though I wish I had just brought the sigma 150 mm now .

Comment

I would seriously also look at the Sigma 150mm
              The 150 mm is more than twice the price of the 105 mm and weighs a pound more, harder to hold still. I also use the 105 mm with the Kenko converter, much cheaper and lighter.

I do think it depends on what people want a macro lens for. The majority seem to use them for subjects such as butterflies and dragonflies which don't even need a macro lens. Many standard telephoto or tele zooms will do just as well, for example on the APS-C the 55 - 250 mm IS STM will focus down to 85 cms, easily close enough to fill the frame with even a smallish butterfly. You only really need a macro lens for smaller subjects than that. So you don't need it for a dragonfly, you do for a dragonfly's head.

The winning macro (and overall) image in the SHOWCASE 2017 was an excellent photo no doubt, but no way would I call it macro, much too large a subject. True macro images are few and far between on this site.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Still awaiting the return of my sigma 150 macro ,it seems they repaired it last week then found another problem ,once it comes back I intend to try to get into macro properly this year .

Comment

The 150 is £50 odd quid more than the Canon Chester was asking about , I think it`s worth that for the extra reach , he dosn`t mention weight being an issue , and I don`t think it matters so much on smaller lenses like these , though a pound more does sound a lot . I agree with Richard regarding Dragonflies and large subjects such as butterflies , close focusing zooms seem to be coming into fashion for this type of photography, and do a very good job of it .

Comment

Working...
                  X