Photoshopped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoshopped?

These are perhaps the finest "Birds in Flight" shots I have ever taken. It really was right place, right time, right kit. There were three other good wildlife photographers on the boat with me and they didn't get it. We all got the previous shots of the Buzzard mobbing the Sea Eagle, but for some reason, my instincts kept me glued to the scene even though the Buzzard had apparently disappeared. One final swoop from on high and I was ready for it.

So, all processed through RAW and ready for a club competition in the certain knowledge of a 10. The Judge gave me a 7.5 and a lecture to only use Photoshop to create something that was believable. He didn't consider that invasion of nesting areas would be just cause, or that height brings considerable advantages. Not to be downhearted, I put the next shot in the series in another competition, got a similar lecture and a similar mark!

I couldn't give up on this entirely, so I tried the EOS Showcase (with a more dramatic sky) and I was awarded Nature Runner up. Thank you all so much ............. so it did happen and I am not going mad?

These are shots with consecutive numbers, untouched, straight from RAW processing and not Photoshopped.

C18I4785a by Colin Cross, on Flickr

C18I4786a by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: Photoshopped?

thats the way it goes Colin ,I haven't got the time or inclination to argue with idiots these days ,seen to many things that are off the scale in my lifetime .scariest was coming face to face with a full grown panther at 10 yards in a Shropshire field .still got two reminders of that my undies and my grey hair .

Comment

A fantastic shot Colin - is this what they call wing walking
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

1st one should be getting awards , amazing .

Comment

is this what they call wing walking
          It was titled "The Wing Walker" Trev.

Although it gives the impression that the Buzzard may have been cadging a free ride for a few minutes, I was taking shots at 15 frames per second and these are one after each other.
          Colin

Comment

Shots of a lifetime Colin and almost impossible to better for originality and rarity value
            Steve ( LSINWP )
            1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

This one got my category vote in the showcase...I liked the one that won, but this was such an amazing moment.
              It hadn't occurred to me that it might be photoshopped....my naivety perhaps....I'm relieved its real.
              I don't know how you hold your cool or give credence to judges decisions...I wouldn't have been able to let it lie.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I don't know how you hold your cool or give credence to judges decisions...
                Partly dumbfounded and partly because it isn't good form to call the Judge a Cretin.
                Colin

Comment

Had a similar judging experience in the past. Made me give up entering comps altogether.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Clearly your expertise was not matched by the judge Colin
                    Having had similar experience with less worthy shots at club comps I try to lead the witness a bit with the title I) such as a rare encounter in the wild, ii) add the subjects in scientuifci names to signal compliance with nature rules and iii) maybe add the place and light conditions. Stretches the brain a bit to keep it concise - sometimes works :-)
                    Cheers
                    Dave

Comment

super shots Colin
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        .........................and partly because it isn't good form to call the Judge a Cretin.
                        Even when some of them are?????

Comment

They are great shots Colin. Timing is everything.... (well that assumes the expertise is there in the first place, because if I had been stood next to you we wouldn't have got the same result!)
                          Andrew

Comment

Definitely the best shots I have seen since being on here, incredible clarity. Well done Colin.

Comment

JudgesBrilliant images

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X