Do you ever wonder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you ever wonder?

I do, I quite often wonder about buildings and places that capture my eye and I probably make an image of them.

In this example the Kilns at Rosedale East, I visited with a photography friend and we were discussing the background and history of these ruined Kilns. Rosedale and the surrounding area produced in the 1800's a huge amount of ironstone. The ironstone mining also brought a lot of workers to the area, and some housing was built to accommodate the increase in population, some of the housing no longer exists. This link for those interested, is to an archived BBC media that gives some information about those times LINK.

When I start to wonder about somewhere my first port of call is a mapping service provided by the National Library of Scotland. On the site one of the options (there are other options) you can search for a place by name and view that place using georeferenced maps, i.e. an old and a modern map with the modern version overlaid on to the old map. By altering the transparency (using the blue slider at the bottom left) of the overlay you reveal the older map. I find it fascinating to see the then and now using the maps.

#1 The kilns in 2016.

Below is a link to these kilns on a map via the National Library of Scotland, give it a try and then if I've made you wonder try some of your own photo locations, somewhere with a bit of industrial heritage may be good.

MAP LINK The limestone kilns should be about centre or just below on the map

I also use this resource for my genealogy research, especially in conjunction with Google Earth's street view.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Do you ever wonder?

Interesting place and interesting mode of research.
    I once investigated the stone circles of Shropshire which appeared on various maps through history....the only means of comparison was to go to the local studies library and they would fetch the maps requested from the archive.....much better that there are now web resources.
    thanks for taking the time to post this.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Your next step after that is buying a metal detector to look for king acker-Mcrackers buried treasure ,to late though I found it years ago and used it for a camera an£ foreign holiday ..

P.s peter now you got me doing this building stuff ,you have terrible converging verticals or is it called keystoning in the pic above Last week I wouldn’t have noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
        P.s peter now you got me doing this building stuff ,you have terrible converging verticals or is it called keystoning in the pic above Last week I wouldn’t have noticed.
        Thanks Jeff, but the stone masons went to great lengths to build the kilns like that

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
        Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          Interesting place and interesting mode of research.
          I once investigated the stone circles of Shropshire which appeared on various maps through history....the only means of comparison was to go to the local studies library and they would fetch the maps requested from the archive.....much better that there are now web resources.
          thanks for taking the time to post this.
          Did you search the mapping resource for the stones location Brian

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
          Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Working...
          X