Showing RAW files on Windows 10 PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Showing RAW files on Windows 10 PC

I am now back from the monster trip to Oz/NZ which was amazing- lots of pics to sort out now!

Whilst in Oz I bought the 5d mk 4 from a reputable dealer since I’d been lusting for a while and the price was too good to walk away from...
    Anyway, I’m loving the 5d4 but have a slight computer problem

I cannot view RAW files direct on my 64 bit PC built with (rather than upgraded to ) Windows 10. They show just fine & can be worked with when imported into LR but in Photos I just get a smug message “we can’t open this file”

Previous CR2 files from 80d and earlier showed on Photos so is this a Windows problem or a Camera problem – and can it be sorted out simply? I don’t think I should have to shoot a small JPEG file at the same time just to keep the RAW file company.

I note from the magazine that there is a new firmware update due end of February - I have version 1.0.4 but don’t think this is relevant as it does not mention this as a snag to be fixed

Would appreciate any input from you clever folk out there!

Thanks

Bo
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Showing RAW files on Windows 10 PC

I believe this may be that the RAW image processor in Windows supports the 80D but hasn't been updated to support the 5D4. It's getting to be a bit of a common problem with support for newer cameras lagging well behind their shipping date in both Windows and OS X land.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Can you see them in Windows Explorer?
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I believe someone here had the same issue with a 6D2. You could try https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks folks:-
          1. Richard - Cannot see them in Windows Explorer.
          2. Chris. Hmm - Buying another programme seems counterproductive since I have LR/PS/DPP and think it should be here anyway!
          3.Andy. So does this mean waiting til the right windows update comes along?

Comment

I don't know I'm afraid, it all depends on Microsoft :-( You may find it better if you do the imports from LR, that way you can preview the photos before importing.

The pack you're after is the Codec pack - there's a comment here on the 5D4... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b3017f9?auth=1
            Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 29-01-2018, 17:32.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Just checked, can't see them from the 200D either. Never really noticed before because it's a camera I mainly use for jpegs. However, shooting in jpeg + RAW, which I normally do, and viewing in Windows Explorer sorted by name, the RAW file is next to the jpeg and has the same file name with a different extension and so I can see what each RAW image is actually of and whether I need/want to work on it.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                Just checked, can't see them from the 200D either. Never really noticed before because it's a camera I mainly use for jpegs. However, shooting in jpeg + RAW, which I normally do, and viewing in Windows Explorer sorted by name, the RAW file is next to the jpeg and has the same file name with a different extension and so I can see what each RAW image is actually of and whether I need/want to work on it.
                Try downloading a trial of fastpictureviewer which should allow you to view thumbnails or view in windows photo

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
                Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

can I ask a daft question Bo...if LR will let you see the Raw files does it matter that Windows10 wont ? or am I missing something

oh well done on your purchase its a stunning camera
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Having done more reading on the web today it appears that MS may at some time in the future update their codec to show raw files from the 5d4, it seems to have taken them over a year before they clue in to new equipment and the 7d ll is apparently a case in point.

Tigger it's not a daft question, I quite agree I could put things straight into LR and look through there. It's just the way I like to organise my files after working on them, it's what I've got used to.

Simplest solution may be to shoot a little jpeg at the same time as the raw files and maybe MS will catch up at some time.

or check out 2beer's suggestion.

Yup the 5d4 is quite a beast, still got a lot to learn but loving what it offers. The 24-104L is glued on for now, haven't even explored my primes !

Comment

[QUOTE=lunarbo;41

Simplest solution may be to shoot a little jpeg at the same time as the raw files and maybe MS will catch up at some time.

or check out 2beer's suggestion.

Yup the 5d4 is quite a beast, still got a lot to learn but loving what it offers. The 24-104L is glued on for now, haven't even explored my primes ![/QUOTE]

The fastpictureviewer codec pack cost $9.99 which is around £7 www.fastpictureviewer.com

If your waiting for microsoft to update their codecs you will likely be on to your next camera before that happens
                      Last edited by 2Beers; 30-01-2018, 20:17.
                      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I've recommended Irfanview in the past. Good piece of freeware, small footprint and able to view almost any picture/video format.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Up until my recent upgrade to a Windows 10 PC (the old XP one was dying) I've never been able to see raw file thumbnails in Explorer... I always sorted them out in either DPP for Canon and View NX for Nikon and never found this a problem since Explorer can't apply ratings in the way that DPP (or View NX) can.

In DPP I use the Quickview tool to preview and rate/reject the files and then delete all the rejects. DPP4 is even better than DPP3 since it has a proper filter option which can be set to display only the rejects whereas in DPP3 I had to sort by rating to find the rejects easily...

I also have a copy FastStone Viewer which appears to recognize pretty much any raw file available...
                          Last edited by El Sid; 01-02-2018, 12:56.
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks guys

If you're waiting for microsoft to update their codecs you will likely be on to your next camera before that happens
                            well let's not hope not, this 'ere 5d iv is gonna have to last and last!

Both FastStone Viewer and IrfanViewer are viewers added to my PC - ie do not alter the codec in MS

AS such if I want just a viewer I've already got that in LR and also Bridge which comes with the Adobe package

So I will do nothing at present but it's good to know that I am not alone....

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                              Thanks guys

So I will do nothing at present but it's good to know that I am not alone....
                              You're never alone on this forum
                              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Working...
                              X