Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&W tree - WDYT?

Hi

I entered this tree shot into my camera club's PDI comp on Monday. I've had a few mixed reactions, so I thought I would see what you all think... not that I'm after too much praise you understand!

Cheers, Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: B&W tree - WDYT?

The image has potential, the problem for me is that the background is fighting for attention on the main subject, which for me is trunk and large branches. IMO, some more dodging and burning as to separate the trunk and the main branches from that background. I would also think a heavier vignetting so you can bring more focus onto those items.

Tom

Comment

This is growing on me....lots of interesting twists and turns...shapes and figures emerge the longer I look into it.
      Tom's advice above sounds good to me...I wouldn't know where to start...I'd just start experimenting with a brush tool maybe adding clarity to the main elements and reducing it in the background....just my ten penneth!
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Its not my thing, but I like it. It reminds me of a very ancient woodland on Dartmoor - Wistmans Wood,always seems very eerie
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

spooky with a great lead in with that branch...excellent work and the B&W process works perfect. If anything agree with Brian about adding clarity to tree but only a little
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks all for looking, and the ones who commented. I appreciate your feedback.

TBH, it was a little rushed to get it posted in time for the competition, and I thought it wouldn't do very well, but it got the top mark - 10/10 - so it just goes to show you never know - well, with judges that is!

Cheers all, Mike.
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
            X