Advice needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed please

Hi there to everybody. I am wondering if anyone can give me a word of advice on getting the best from my 1DX and 7D2. I am an experienced photographer of wildlife in particular. I have a 1DX which is around 5 years old with 65,000 or so actuations. I am very happy with the camera and the 300mm lens usually on it but sometimes I feel I could have done better.
    I am wondering if anyone has tried slowing the operation down a little and reducing the number of FPS ? I do tend to fire away sometimes so I am thinking of reducing the FPS to see if that helps.
    Any advice is welcome - thanks in advance
    John Boyd - Leeds

Re: Advice needed please

Hi John , I have the same two cameras as you with the 1DX being my prime body with the 7D2 as back up when needed. 90% of my photography is wildlife and find the 1DX and 500mm lens a great combination . I have never felt it necessary to reduce the FPS and providing the focus is locked onto the subject and not lost during tracking I dont know why I would want to reduce it. I guess it depends on what you mean by " could have done better " as I think we are all in that boat .
    Steve ( LSINWP )
    1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Hello John

I have slowed mine down to 12 shots per second and for birds in flight, use Case 2 focus and tracking.

More importantly, anticipating the shot is far more important than gunning the motor drive. I press the button for around three shots and this puts the wings of the target bird in three different positions. Some birds look a bit stupid with their wings in certain positions, so cranking off three shots gives me a choice of three options.

For static birds where there isn't much happening, I just squeeze off one shot now and again. No point in duplicating shots unnecessarily, though I have been in many a hide where photographers are continuously gunning the motor drive like an Uzi sub machine gun. To me, it just creates far too much work to sort through when back at home on the computer.

Hope that helps.
      Colin

Comment

Hi John

I use the 1DX wth the ef500mm with the 1.4 and 2.0 teleconvertors for Bird photography.
        I also use the 70-200 2.8 and ef100-400, I do tend to find them a bit short in the reach dept without a convertor, do you use one on your 300mm? the EF300 2.8 is a bit of a dream lens for me as it would be easier to wield and the combination of a convertor would give it the reach too, especially for airshows etc.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

thanks a lot to those who replied -I will take your advice on board !
          JB

Comment

thanks a lot to those who replied -I will take your advice on board !
            JB

Comment

Working...
            X