Push, push and push again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push, push and push again

I recently had three images hung at a local café. I have certainly heard a lot of different opinions on how much some like realism (not omnipresent in my images...) and how others like abstract and colour. It seems to me that there are lots of takes on any image, so I thought I would see whether I can break the mould as it were. Here are three from the same raw material - ie the same 6 or 8 original raw files all processed with a common root, and then each shooting off, but always based on the one before - if you get my drift:

After the Market, French Row by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

After the Market, French Row v2 by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

After the Market, French Row v3 by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

In fact I have at least nine images from this location on my Flickr Photostream - ignoring the ones no longer visible. I put them all into an album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskBJ44Nr

Thanks for looking. Would love to hear what you think (I think... )

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: Push, push and push again

For me the 1st is my pick, because their is still enough detail, yet abstract to make it very interesting, the 2nd is my next pick as it allows for me to make my own interpretation of what I’m seeing depending on my state of mind, the last image reminds me of a bad trip in the early 70’s (not saying that I had one

Tom

Comment

I really enjoy your abstract work Richard and I find the 1st one offers a truly unique photo / artwork. Like Tom I prefer that of the 3. In fact I've seen a lot of your work on FB that drift into the 2nd & 3rd style but i always find when you use 1st process I return often and admirer it
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm with the two T's above and would choose the first picture over the three of them as the detail is there and you are drawn to the whole picture. The second one would be my least favourite as its surprisingly "busy" for me and I just don't know what to focus on. However, the third does draw you in to focus onto the house and I do quite like that one, but not as much as the first.
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

And three more... All with a bit more detail

After the Market, French Row v4 by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

After the Market, French Row v5 by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

After the Market, French Row v6 by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

Comment

just great art work mate - in this case 3rd one, I'd buy it if I could afford your art :)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

You have become a master of your own unique style and seeing all 12 on Flickr is to see the variety that you can produce. Personally I prefer it not to be too abstract-y and keeping some detail- even if I have to search it out- makes it for me

Of these 6 I like both the first and the last with the last shaving it because of the depth of colour.

I’m curious as to how you know when to stop!!
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post

if its like me when the glass or bottle is empty :)

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                  For me the 1st is my pick, because their is still enough detail, yet abstract to make it very interesting, the 2nd is my next pick as it allows for me to make my own interpretation of what I’m seeing depending on my state of mind, the last image reminds me of a bad trip in the early 70’s (not saying that I had one

Tom
                  Thanks Tom! I know there is a continuum from detail to abstract (and probably back again) and I am forever reaching to either end with an occasional visit to the middle! One day I will settle down - perhaps - or on reflection perhaps not!

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  I really enjoy your abstract work Richard and I find the 1st one offers a truly unique photo / artwork. Like Tom I prefer that of the 3. In fact I've seen a lot of your work on FB that drift into the 2nd & 3rd style but i always find when you use 1st process I return often and admirer it
                  Thanks Ian - still exploring, and as I said to Tom, still some way to go! Interestingly, I often get more comments (positive ones) on wildly abstract stuff - not here obviously!!!

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                  I'm with the two T's above and would choose the first picture over the three of them as the detail is there and you are drawn to the whole picture. The second one would be my least favourite as its surprisingly "busy" for me and I just don't know what to focus on. However, the third does draw you in to focus onto the house and I do quite like that one, but not as much as the first.
                  Thanks Andy - funnily enough the middle one (of the first three) had the most "simplify" in Topaz applied to it. Its almost like the reduction in the detail makes it harder to grab hold of!

Comment

just great art work mate - in this case 3rd one, I'd buy it if I could afford your art :)
                    You've seen the pictures of them in my local café? At 90 x 60cm under 4mm acrylic they look pretty darn good, even if I do say so myself! I'm sure we could come to terms!!!

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                    You have become a master of your own unique style and seeing all 12 on Flickr is to see the variety that you can produce. Personally I prefer it not to be too abstract-y and keeping some detail- even if I have to search it out- makes it for me

Of these 6 I like both the first and the last with the last shaving it because of the depth of colour.

Thank you! I'm probably with you with having some detail, but then how much? Its a hard decision - hence my indecision this time. As to your last question - if I knew that I would spend a lot less time in front of my laptop!!! I think that reflects the title I gave this thread. You push it as hard as you think you can. Post it. Come back and push again. But I am done now with this set. Indeed I have submitted a copy of number 4 to a competition today!

if its like me when the glass or bottle is empty :)
                    Moderation in everything except photography and digital artistry

Comment

Lovely, Richard, and thanks for sharing all the variants. Great to see what is achievable with both vision and skill. For me, the order (favourite first) is 5, 4, 1, 6, 2, 3.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                      X