Excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excited!

I have just placed an order for a used 5d mk ii camera. It will be my first full frame DSLR and should be delivered on Saturday.

Planning to use it for my food and macro photography and I want to try some landscapes this year. I'm guessing it won't be so good for my wildlife and birds, but I have the 7d mk ii for those.

Any tips for getting the best out of the camera most welcome.

Regards,

Carol
    Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Re: Excited!

Exciting times
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

[emoji106]

Comment

The 5D Mk II is very capable, the resolution and dynamic range have been shown to be pretty much exactly the same as the Mk III. Obviously the Mk III has other advantages, but they're not really relevant to the subjects you mention. I bought a used one myself last year. I do use the 6D (also bought used) more because it's lighter, but the image quality of both is much the same.

For food photography you might find the links here provide useful advice :
        Explore the Canon Digital Learning Center to find everything ranging from buying guides to training courses.

Food photography can get amazingly complex in terms of lighting and what they do to the food to make it look good, you wouldn't want to eat it though .............
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I recently replaced my 7d mk2 with a 5d mk3, which is very close to the 5d2. The low light performance is noticeable over the 7dmk2 and high iso performance is very much improved. I have also noticed a slightly shallower dof, not a game changer in the real world, but it's there. Biggest difference is the lack of the crop factor, but I've soon forgotten it, and I have a 1.4 extender if needed. Enjoy it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you very much everyone. I would have loved the mk 3, but couldn't quite stretch to it. Looking forward to playing over the weekend.

Regards,

Carol
            Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

You will really notice the difference once you start processing your files ,the files from the larger sensors are really “smooth” is the best way to describe it .
              As your aware the 5D2 is not a wildlife camera ,but a lot of your shots are fairly static birds on twigs etc so I would advise leaving the 7D2 at home one day and use the 5D you might surprise yourself with the results ,also bear in mind my weapon of choice that gives the best results imho is a 10mp 1D mkiii

Comment

I almost went for the mk2, but I found a mk3 for a good price, in the real world there is not a massive difference... Look forward to seeing your shots

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I have also noticed a slightly shallower dof, not a game changer in the real world, but it's there
                  This is the biggie for me especially of course at the wide end. It will teach us to be accurate !

I am keeping my crop camera - 80d- as I still love it too much to say goodbye......

Have fun with your new toy & show us some shots
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thank you very much. I am keeping my crop camera also. Looking forward to seeing the files from the new (to me) camera.

Regards,

Carol
                    Regards,

Carol

Comment

My first photo, through the double glazed living room window as it is raining outside, from the Canon 5D mk ii.

Robin - first shot on new camera through double glazing by Carol Leather, on Flickr

Happy girl.
                      Regards,

Carol

Comment

It may not be the latest and greatest, but in a shocking development the 5DmkII took great photos when it first came out and these days they take exactly the same quality photos. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
                          My first photo, through the double glazed living room window as it is raining outside, from the Canon 5D mk ii.

Robin - first shot on new camera through double glazing by Carol Leather, on Flickr

Happy girl.
                          Pretty impressive for a shot through double glazing...
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                          X