X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing raw files from camera body

Hi everyone,
    Some help required for old bloke (me)
    I have three devices at home...a 9 year old p.c (HP)..a 3 year old tablet (surface) and a new HP "omen" lap top.
    I have upload my raw files to all three devices, my question is that only the HP OMEN laptop opens the raw file straight from the body?...doe this mean the laptop is converting the raw image to jpeg?..could anyone help explain this please.
    P.S..i have photoshop elements installed on P.C.

Re: Importing raw files from camera body

By 'opens the raw file straight from the body?' do you mean you can see them in Windows Explorer? If so it may simply be that OMEN laptop has a version of Explorer that includes the correct codec - a piece of software that can read the raw file or more likely a thumbnail buried in it. My old PC (XP based) can't show CR2 thumbnails but mynew PC (Windows 10) can.

If this is not the case I would not recommend opening raw files on the card while in camera, or ever for that matter... Camera file systems are less robust than those of a PC and any change to the file however inadvertent or minor can case the camera to lose track of it. Always download or copy the files to a PC before opening them.

RAW files can only be opened by programs that have the right decoding algorithms - these include Canons own DPP, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Elements, RawTherapee, Capture One to name a few. Only Canon DPP can open the raw file with exactly the settings as your camera, the other use their own custom profiles. Do you have Elements on all 3 devices and is it the same version? I's also possible that the version of Elements you have on the Omen has automatically set itself as the default program for CR2 files - in which case it will be opening the raw file with it's own inbuilt converter (Adobe ACR) and what you are seeing is ACR's interpretation of the raw file not a JPEG.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for the reply Nigel,
      I just have Elements installed on the P.C.. the OMEN has just the editing program it came with..which is similar to elements "Quick" setting.
      Thanks again for your reply

Comment

What photo editing program came with the OMEN? I'd be surprised if any of the Windows apps could open a raw file. Is the camera new? Elements should open the raw files unless it's older than the camera in which case you may need to update it via the Adobe website.
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

You probably need to download the raw codec drivers, one suspects you have them only on one PC, see here for downloads, they are needed to recognise and see the files... Think of it as a language translation tool.

Download drivers, software, firmware and manuals for your Canon product and get access to online technical support resources and troubleshooting.

Adobe elements update ones

Read the information on this page to learn about the updates to Photoshop Elements. When you get an update message in Photoshop Elements, make sure that you install the update to get the fixes and enhancements we have shipped.

If one is not succesful, try the other.
          Last edited by TonyT; 26-02-2018, 23:44.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
          X