M5 with 70-300 nano USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M5 with 70-300 nano USM

I’ve just bought this latest version of the EF70-300 lens to use on my M5 with the EF adapter. However I’m finding severe issues with focusing. The lens is very slow and hunts, going far past focus before coming back. I’m hoping there is some simple fix is settings for this. Can anyone advise?

I was hoping this was going to be a light carry setup but so far is too frustrating to use
    Last edited by teslar; 25-02-2018, 08:38.

Re: M5 with 70-300 nano USM

As an M5 user this is not something I have come up against - yet.
    However, have you ensured that the firmware in your camera body is the latest version? When I bought mine recently I had to update the fw as a priority.
    Quentin

Comment

I sympathise with you as I recently bought a Tamron 18-200 with EF-M mount and that is frustratingly difficult to get it to lock onto focus. With a standard 18-55 it's very quick and the success rate is high but the 18-200 is dreadful and, like you, I bought the lens as a lightweight walkaround lens and the picture quality is excellent when it eventually focuses. Let's hope someone can come up with an answer.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dazzlingdave1948 View Post
        I sympathise with you as I recently bought a Tamron 18-200 with EF-M mount and that is frustratingly difficult to get it to lock onto focus. With a standard 18-55 it's very quick and the success rate is high but the 18-200 is dreadful and, like you, I bought the lens as a lightweight walkaround lens and the picture quality is excellent when it eventually focuses. Let's hope someone can come up with an answer.
        Dave
        I have the Tamron 18-200 f/3.5 to 6.3 DI3 that is made for the M5 and find that the lens works well with the M5. The only issues I have with that lens is with Low Light at f/6.3 where it does have a tuff time focussing, but on normal lighting conditions the lens quickly finds focus.

Tom

Comment

I was out with a friend on Saturday that has had a m5 for a month or so ,he is using it with a 400mm f5.6 L lens and had no problem capturing long tail tits in flight ,and I certainly couldn’t . So it sounds like a compatibility problem with your particular lens and adaptor /camera can I ask if your using a canon adaptor or one of the cheap Chinese clone ones as that may be the problem

Comment

I do believe some third party adaptors can cause problems, is yours one?
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

You dont think it is you and the touch screen causing it, see

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                You dont think it is you and the touch screen causing it, see

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/c...-camera-review
                the new (announced today ) M50 should cure that as it has a 80d type swivel screen that closes the screen off from the body and at the price definetly on my most wanted list

Comment

heres one of my mates from Saturday ,Eos.m5 canon adaptor 400mm f5.6 L making me wonder ??? posted with his permission

in flight 2 by dave owens, on Flickr
                  Last edited by the black fox; 26-02-2018, 18:22.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                    I do believe some third party adaptors can cause problems, is yours one?
                    I’m using the original canon adapter that cane with my M5 I’m also on the latest firmware 1.01 as I recall.

I’ve checked I have the correct lens profile loaded (just in case)

Not sure what else I can do with it. The 70-300 isn’t much use to me otherwise as I have a 100-400 F4 for my 7Dii

The M5 + 70-300 was to be my grab and go set up but the focussing is just too slow to be useable. Which is odd as they say the M5 is effectively an 80D and the lens focussed fine on a friends 80D

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      the new (announced today ) M50 should cure that as it has a 80d type swivel screen that closes the screen off from the body and at the price definetly on my most wanted list
                      Yes I saw the reviews of the M50 but it’s not got the M5 features. It bodes well for the M5ii though [emoji106]

Comment

Might be worth popping into a friendly camera shop and asking if you could try a 55-250is you would lose a bit of range but I believe that’s a good combo ,failing that as I have shown above the 400mm f5.6 works a dream on it

Comment

Originally posted by teslar View Post
                          I’ve just bought this latest version of the EF70-300 lens to use on my M5 with the EF adapter. However I’m finding severe issues with focusing. The lens is very slow and hunts, going far past focus before coming back. I’m hoping there is some simple fix is settings for this. Can anyone advise?

I was hoping this was going to be a light carry setup but so far is too frustrating to use
                          I use this compo ((but a 70-300L) as well - make a good travel combo

Brian
                          ef-r

Comment

Working...
                          X