Attention Black Rapid Camera Strap user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention Black Rapid Camera Strap user

My Black Rapid RS7 has been in constant use for over four years now and has always felt safe.....until Saturday at Slimbridge, when without any warning, the swivel joint gave way and the camera and lens fell to the ground. Fortunately ,little damage other than a scratch on the camera body as it fell on to relativily soft ground but I hate to think of the damage had I been in the hide, with a concrete floor!!

On inspection I found that the ball end had worn so much that the two parts slipped apart (middle of the picture) and also the end where it attaches to the camera is also badly worn (right hand side of picture) that with a heavy lens attached it could have failed there at any time.

These are quite expensive straps and although they only have a 12 month warranty, one would expect them to last much longer than four years or so

I will be taking it up with Black Rapid but would suggest any forum members ho use one inspect theirs to avoid a possible shock in the future

Dee also has one, a bit newer and although hers seems to have no problem with the bit that "swivels", it is starting to show signs of wear at the other end

Stan

black rapid.jpg
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Attention Black Rapid Camera Strap user

Ouch Stan, so glad your gear is ok, that just sucks, looking at that, you want to add a para cord strap through both metal parts so if it fails in future it is held together, I use one on mine.

Like this

There are cheaper version on ebay BTW
    Last edited by TonyT; 26-02-2018, 10:09.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

.....Or one of these without the need to put it over your wrist. It fits through the metal part which stays on the strap should there be a failure like Stan's....I have these fitted to both my bodies when using the Black Rapid shoulder and wrist straps...

Edit:- The later Black Rapid's appear to have a different arrangement to your's, Stan. The pin which pulled through on yours is now longer and is secured with a collar with a hole drilled through and a split tubular pin securing them both. Looks as though Black Rapid are aware of the weakness

Gerry.

Last edited by Greecian; 26-02-2018, 11:58.

Comment

I cut my swivel off a couple of years ago ,partly because of warnings about this and partly to cut down on it clinking ,I now use op-tech short connecting straps (two pairs) to attach to my lens .not only is it more secure its also very quick release for using on a tripod

Comment

Both good ideas guys. For the time being I have ordered a screw lock carabiner ( a smaller version of that which is used for mountaineering) which will fit to the metal piece left on the strap and then the camera, which will enable me to continue using the strap until i decide on a replacement

stan

flickr

Comment

I fancy the magpull which is a military grade rifle sling and uses pip pins, RRS are now doing mounts for them to attach to their gear.
            Though a silly price

Discover RRS's world-class camera gear. Crafted for quality and performance, our tripods, heads, and supports empower photographers to capture perfect shots.

Elevate your photography with quick and seamless Magpul Gen 2 MS4 Dual QD Sling. Discover the RRS-QD Integration for Security, Speed, and a Low Profile.

The way I look at it in picture 2 it allows a second strap to be added meaning you can double clamp for safety.

Shop Magpul for high-quality firearms accessories & tactical gear. Browse our selection of stocks, grips, magazines, and more. Free Shipping on orders over $75.

video
            http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/RRS-QD-SystemA short demonstration of the Really Right Stuff QD Camera Strap System, which enables photographers to switch be...
            Last edited by TonyT; 26-02-2018, 13:05.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

quite expensive but looks really secure but looks like the strap has no shoulder padding

stan

flickr

Comment

Used one of these for a year or so on my bag

Comment

That's what happens when companies get products made in China who use sub-standard materials. They look great when they're new but don't last 5 minutes.
                  http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

heres what I use ,the opposing ends mount to the lens lugs or in my case to keep the rig level for walkabout one long one to the lens lug and a short one on the end of my arca extension plate
                    Attached Files

Comment

Know someone else this happen to, same reasons as Stan's the ball end wore away. They said good bye to a Canon 100/400 lens
                      I've thought many times about getting one but always had a fear that the lug that attaches to the camera would come un-done
                      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Now that doesn't look good at all Stan....need to check mine now , thanks for the heads up
                        Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

I e mailed Black Rapid yesterday suggesting they replace the strap and got a response this morning asking i send the damaged part for inspection so watch this space

stan

flickr

Comment

They may replace it as a gesture of goodwill, but I doubt you will hear anything else from them about the fault, as that is admitting liability on their behalf and leaves them open to you suing them for damage to your camera etc, they will examine why it failed, and hopefully improve their product to prevent it happening again.

Remember if they acknowledge a fault in design, then its not just your camera, but every other such incident they will be worried about being sued for.

I have seen it in my industry, had a turbo inlet fail, and examining the pipe I could see they hadn't radiused the elbow causing it to crack, said item returned and new one manufactured and sent out with surprise surprise a radius added... later friend had similar and when contacting them they stated they had 300 plus in stock.... I.e they had realised the issue and had manufactured enough stock to replace those that fail as a "goodwill gesture" without admitting liability. you don't hold 300 of anything these days.
                            Last edited by TonyT; 27-02-2018, 12:11.

Comment

My RS7 is more than a few years old and is showing similar 'fatigue', to be honest mine gets a lot of abuse trackside so I'm not surprised with the wear and tear. I received this as part of my reply from BR

"Thank you for your email, we are happy to help! The carabiners are not available for replacement, as these straps have been discontinued. As much as we'd love for everything to last forever, all camera equipment eventually needs to be updated and replaced at some time, so to help out our customers with the cost of updating their camera strap, we are offering a Trade-In program to receive one (or more) of our newly redesigned straps at a discounted price.
                              In case you have not yet had the opportunity to be familiarized with our newest line of straps, we can share with you a little bit about them: they have really great new features and all updated hardware. The newly redesigned Breathe series is now lighter weight, has a breathable shoulder pad and the fasteners are now coated to help eliminate metal-on-metal wear allowing for a quieter and more secure connection to the camera. The new Breathe straps come with the LockStar which also helps to eliminate any noise and keeps the camera in a more secure location."

I believe the discount is around 40% - I am waiting a reply as it will help with the replacement to the 'Breathe sport' - I will continue with BR regardless just due to the comfort and strength - any strap that can take the 1DXmk2 with the 200-400 swinging off it wins on all accounts in my book!

Thanks for the 'nudge' to chase this up Stan.

.DAVID.
                              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X