Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Warm

Hi All,

Some may have seen a couple of comments about being cold in a recent post about Hares in the Animal section.

It just got me to think, what do others do to keep warm when doing winter photography generally but also when sitting in a hide for a few hours.

Does anyone else use a Hot water bottle? what about those Gel hand warmer things? or the Bags full of wheat which you warm up in a Microwave?

Any thoughts anyone?

Paul

Re: Keeping Warm

Seems to be a sudden increase of shots taken through double glazing.

Comment

Layers for me.

Underwear, full base layer, outer layer, sweater, waterproof windproof breathable coat with a hood. Add to that two pairs of socks, thin cotton inner and thick merino wool outer. Boots are waterproof and breathable with an insulated sole. Gloves two pairs, silk inner, insulated windproof outer. Beeny hat, thinsulate tube for neck and lower face and perhaps that rather fetching Stetson from my Avatar.

If it gets too stupid cold, I have a 6 layer silk and other stuff quilted undersuit, made for BMW Motorcyclists, but unless it is nearly arctic conditions, that gets too hot to wear.

Finally the camera and lens. I use an insulated, reversible, weatherproof, all in one cover made by Wildlife watching supplies.
      Colin

Comment

What temperatures can you hit wearing all of that Colin?

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          Layers for me.

Underwear, full base layer, outer layer, sweater, waterproof windproof breathable coat with a hood. Add to that two pairs of socks, thin cotton inner and thick merino wool outer. Boots are waterproof and breathable with an insulated sole. Gloves two pairs, silk inner, insulated windproof outer. Beeny hat, thinsulate tube for neck and lower face and perhaps that rather fetching Stetson from my Avatar.

If it gets too stupid cold, I have a 6 layer silk and other stuff quilted undersuit, made for BMW Motorcyclists, but unless it is nearly arctic conditions, that gets too hot to wear.

Finally the camera and lens. I use an insulated, reversible, weatherproof, all in one cover made by Wildlife watching supplies.
          Layers for me too , have to confess it`s my feet that suffer the most , followed by my Knees . Find thick gloves a bit cumbersome , though I do use them with a shutter release some times , otherwise it`s finger-less wool gloves for me .

Do you have a link for that cover Colin ? I have a Neoprene cammo wrap on my lens , and use a cammo rain cover that , that covers both lens and camera , all came from wildlife watching supplies .

Comment

If it gets a bit colder I’ll have ditch my shorts and sandals an£ put on a pair of trousers and shoes and socks I suppose .the wife keeps telling me to put on a coat but nowt wrong with my t shirt

Comment

I still have Military Thermals that we used in Northern Norway plus odd bits of other stuff I forgot to had back
              OK for hide work but a bit hot to move around in.
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                What temperatures can you hit wearing all of that Colin?
                Not sure Glenn, can hardly move wearing that lot!
                Colin

Comment

Thanks to those who replied, interesting that layers seems to be the favoured way to go, no one mentioned gel packs, wheat bags or water bottles though?

Paul

Comment

no one mentioned gel packs, wheat bags or water bottles though?
                    I have tried those Paul, but the problem with them all is they are very short-lived. If you are planning to be out all day in a hostile environment, the layered approach with a waterproof, breathable, windproof, outer layer can be relied upon to keep you going.

I once borrowed a heated undersuit, used in inclement weather by builders. Lovely to start with, but you need a 12V Lithium Ion battery to power it, plus a few spares in your pocket. Nice as it was, it didn't provide anything extra for hands, feet and face and I find that once either of those get cold, your whole body feels cold.

For me its layers and a flask of hot coffee.
                    Colin

Comment

Nothing.. Just what I would normally wear, though the hangar I work in was just above freezing after a day with the heating on, ( Plus 1) so I took to wearing a second short sleeve teeshirt over the one I normally wear. I have been pondering a pair of cotton gloves though.
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                      X