Challenge 140: Skyscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 140: Skyscape

I thought of this as I was sitting on a hotel balcony earlier this week with the sun going down across the Mediterranean and a big big sky in front of me. So the theme for this challenge is 'Skyscape'. Could be sunset, sunrise, cloud formations , whatever; I am happy for there to be foreground detail or objects in the sky, but the main focus of the image must be on the sky itself.

My judging will be based on my interpretation of what makes a good image in terms of composition, technical ability and artistry.

Please abide by the general rules:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The closing date for entries is Midnight GMT on Sunday 1 April so you have 4 full weeks, including a bank holiday, to create and polish your masterpieces.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 140: Skyscape

Pier Sunset

Pier Sunset.jpg

Comment

Sun rays through the snow.

4S7A0174 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Licorice Allsort

Flickr
        Web Page
        Instagram
        Facebook

Comment

Ascot Skyscape by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Grey sky over Blenheim by Andrew Bird, on Flickr
            Last edited by Birdy; 26-03-2018, 05:31.
            Andrew

Comment

Sunrise, Mahon Harbour

Mahon, the capital of our little island, is the most easterly point in Spain so greets each new day before anywhere else in the country.

[IMG]Sunrise, Mahon Harbour. by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Shenandoah cloudscape

Comment

Evening Sky
                  Skyscape by nigel winters, on Flickr
                  Nigel
                  EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Seafront Skyscape

seafront skyscape by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
                    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Firstly, thanks to all of you who entered. Given that n the UK we have had pretty grey leaden skies for the last week, it maybe turns out not the best chosen of themes, but nevertheless a very varied set of entries against the brief.
                      So, to my thoughts on each (and please remember I'm no judge, these are just my own personal and possibly ill-informed opinions):

Cloudtrekker: Pier Sunset
                      I see this is only your second post, so welcome to the Challenges, looking forward to seeing more of your entries in the future. A classic sunset over water, and a very beautiful scene you have captured well. I like that with the horizon on the top third you see more of the sky reflected than direct, with the rocks adding interest to the space.

Daisy M: Sun rays through the snow
                      Gosh, that is a remarkable split sky. Looking at the bottom half alone, it is a lovely image of rays on the snowy tops, but the top half adds a whole new dimension. If had a minor quibble, I would shave a bit off the top as the very bright highlight draws my eye from the snowy mountain (scroll it up and you’ll maybe see what I mean) though I can see why you left it in. And perhaps a bit tight on the bottom.

Jonathan Teatime: Licorice Allsort
                      I really love this very graphic and stark image, the composition is wonderful, the lines are so strong. Everything sharp and clean and pure. I just about get why you’ve entered it although for me the sky is very much the backdrop to the image, not the focus. But it does provide a stunning backdrop.

ctrollen: Ascot Skyscape
                      Now that is a big sky. Love the blue depth of colour, and the clouds converging centrally and along the horizon. But what really makes this is the detail of the white railings which frame and then lead you into the image. A great example of great composition.

Birdy: Grey sky over Blenheim
                      Oh mean and moody glowering sky, and the palace just peaking through in the distance. I guess it’s not often that the building gets sidelined, but in this case it really works, albeit with the pillars of the portico adding a gleam of white to take your eye right to the edge of the frame. The focus then becomes the inlet and the clouds.

lunarbo: Sunrise, Mahon harbour
                      The restful glow of a gorgeous sunrise. All elements perfectly and carefully placed to maximum effect. I love the squiggly lines of the boat reflections, so sharp, and then the white buildings across the bay. So, to the contrail. I know some would hate it and say it intrudes, but for me you’ve left it startlingly bright, so clearly intentional, and it fills the space mirroring the boat’s mast and lines. And it drags the attention back skyward.

SteveC: Shenandoah cloudscape
                      So this is all about the shape. And the shape is great, I love it, the brightness of the central fluff and the perfectly placed ‘wings’. A great spot. Unfortunately when I went to view it on Flickr I couldn’t help but see it was taken in August last year, so ineligible for this Challenge, but great to see it nonetheless.

EOSwinters: Evening Sky
                      Classic gorgeous evening light. I really love the layered clouds with the intensity building as you go down, and a sense of something coming in from the right. The silhouetted trees add genuine points of interest, particularly the singleton bottom left. And then the solitary bird, beautifully positioned against the blue and providing a sense of scale.

Farider: Seafront Skyscape
                      I’m guessing this is a panorama? If not, you’ve gone very wide and that really works to show the expanse of sky. Two things really make it for me; the patch of white in the clouds and the white structure in the foreground which complement each other really well. I can see why you’ve left the bottom curved, to retain the sense of width, but my personal preference would be straightened to remove the concrete far right.

And so my winners, in reverse order are:
                      3rd: Daisy M: Sun rays through the snow
                      2nd: lunarbo: Sunrise, Mahon Harbour
                      1st: ctrollen: Ascot Skyscape

So well done to Chris; over to you for the next one. And for everyone else who entered, sorry you didn’t win it this time, but thanks for your entries; it is always so fascinating to see the variety of images this Forum comes up with.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

This was a fun challenge, Alex so thanks for the suggestion and, as ever, for judging and your thoughtful comments .

Delighted to get a place on the podium as Chris' Ascot was a belter and always going to be a hard act to follow. Congratulations to him and Daisy too.
                        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Wow, thanks Alex! As you mentioned, the weather wasn't helping for most of the month but luckily we did get a couple of days that weren't completely grey and overcast. Not only have I had very little camera time recently but this was also the first time I'd used my new (to me) 10-18 and a circular polarizing filter so am very pleased with the outcome

Well done to all who entered what were some cracking shots, especially Bo and Dave for their podium spots. The quality of all the entries makes me all the more chuffed to come out on top. And thanks again to Alex for a great subject and for the extensive & useful comments.

Off to think of the subject for the next challenge now so watch this space.
                          Chris
                          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thank you Alex for setting such an interesting & vast subject area for this challenge, but mostly thank for the comments about my shot.I took that within the first two weeks of upgrading to the 7 d mk2, so very pleased.
                            Well done to Chris for coming first with a real photo with depth & for Bo, just wish we had the weather to be able to take such a bright & cheerful shot.
                            Looking forward to what Chris sets us for April. In New York for another 7 days, so hope to find something to match the challenge.

Comment

Sorry Dave, but it most definitely won't be "skyscrapers"
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X