Mulling things over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mulling things over

Well I’m getting older daily ,starting to feel the weight of the gear I lug around these days , got a game plan tucked in my head if it pans out .
    Just ordered a eos-m3 to use with my sigma 150macro that’s step 1 . If I like the results I’m considering selling my sigma sport and 1D3 and getting a M5/M50/M6 and coupling that with a 400 f5.6 or a sigma 100-400 the crop factor will make up for focal length lost and all those bodies are supposedly fast enough fo4 wildlife . One of my best friends uses the m5 and 400 lens to good effect and gets b.i.f so I will try his rig out before deciding .
    These are just thoughts at the moment apart from the m3 .nothing is written in stone yet but something’s got to give
    Unless anyone has a better idea

Re: Mulling things over

It seems to me most of the weight is in the Sport lens. It weighs in at 2860 grams, while the 100 - 400 is only 1160 grams, so changing that would save you 1700 grams or 3 3/4 pounds. Changing it would maybe be the place to start, you could probably get a lot more for the Sport used than the 100 - 400 would cost you new, and the weight saving might be enough for now. I really like the 100 - 400 Sigma, but I've never tried b.i.f with it and there have been some negative comments about its performance keeping moving objects in focus, though (as usual) different people seem to have wildly different opinions. Since I got mine, the 150 - 600 C hasn't been out of its case.

I'm not sure I'd like the idea of a mirrorless camera with telephoto. General opinion is that action is the area where they still fall behind dslrs, unless you have one of the high priced full frame Sony ones. Mind you, I still don't understand why you went for mirrorless to go with the Sigma 150 specifically for macro, personally I don't see the logic. Maybe with a short lightweight macro lens like the EF-M 28mm f3.5 Macro IS STM it might make sense, but with a big heavy lens like the 150 mm Sigma, I can't see any advantage. I prefer a dslr for macro any day. For things like butterflies and dragonflies, the Sigma 100 - 400 gives 0.26 life size at its closest, which is normally easily close enough.

Also, the latest M series bodies have the same sensor as the 80d, and you never seem to have been totally happy with the image quality you got with the 80d, so that might be a consideration. I can't see the M bodies giving any different IQ.

Just a few thoughts .................
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

my original intent wasn't to do anything except get the mirrorless to go with the macro to make a small rig to keep in my bag on walkabout and to save swapping lenses about which I hate doing .
      the other thoughts about changing the rest of the gear have come from seeing the results my friend has been getting with his m5 and 400 5.6 ,and seeing he has disabilities its even more thought provoking .

I do note what your saying about action with mirrorless but the m5/m50 seem to be far better at it and as stated I will be checking out my friends rig before coming to a decision .

and still waiting for the m3 adaptor arrived this morning from amazon camera hopefully tomorrow ,if for any reason it doesn't work as wanted or pan out buying from wex gives you a 30 day change your mind as part of there used deal as well as a 12 months used items warranty ,so if needs be I can change back to another dslr

Comment

I feel your pain Jeff, in some cases quite literally. With the weather being less than idea for months, I’ve found taking the 7D2 and 150-600C out and about to be a bit of a chore and its taking the fun out of my photography. And that’s a lighter combo than yours.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

And that really sums it up Andy ,it’s a hobby for 99% of us and should be fun ,I’m now well into my 70’s with all the blessings that brings with it

Comment

Indeed. As they say on the online gambling ads, when the fun stops, stop.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
              Indeed. As they say on the online gambling ads, when the fun stops, stop.
              Can't ............ I'm addicted!
              Colin

Comment

I can understand this.....I'm not finding my 5D3 too heavy at the moment, though I certainly don't carry any more of the full frame system than I need for any given shoot.
                I find I'm using the 200D and EF-S lenses more often...they are so compact and light in comparison.
                When I go back to the 5D3 I do appreciate its virtues in terms of accessibility and ease of control and better image quality (better image quality I think but often cant tell the two systems apart in tests)
                The CSCs are very capable....see Birdy's shot of his spaniel.....using an M6 and EF-M15-45 IS STM
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Have now got the M3 and the lens converter ,so testing will commence shortly ..

Comment

Jeff - I had an M3, then traded it in for an M5. I use both the M series lenses and occasionally my EF lenses with the converter. I find the reduction in weight over my 5D3 a great advantage (especially when flying and having to cope with a miniscule carry-on bag weight limit).

All works well BUT the one thing the M series falls down on (in my view) is the ability to have a pin-point for focus area - the smallest focus area you can set is still just that, an area, not a point. I find this frustrating at times (like when trying to get the eye in focus on a bird).

You may want to pay particular attention to this in your testing.
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

will do John ,have now got camera and convertor and can already see a couple of drawbacks .luckily I had the original mk 1 m so its not to unfamiliar to me .might just stick with the m3 for macro for now . updates after a settling in period

Comment

Load carry an issue - Perhaps the Gym once a week
                        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

my first problem was the lens constantly juddering to achieve focus . this turned out to be menu problem and turning off continuous focus seems to have cured it .not really had much chance to play today but it seems fine

Comment

I have the EOS M3 Jeff and was intending going out this week with my 100mm f2.8 L lens just to see what it can do.
                            Look out for some pics soon

Alan
                            Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

I was playing around with it last night Alan first off it works fine with my Meike ring flash so that’s one test passed ,but then the muppet factor kicked in ,I set the camera to manual mode and tried out a few test targets .oops I focussed then pressed the shutter button and it de.focussed tried a few times and thought something was wrong . Then the penny dropped I had omitted turning the lens to manual focus .
                              Gave myself the muppet award.

Comment

Working...
                              X