Lens prices....how much!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lens prices....how much!!!

Excuse my ignorance, but if I buy a Canon lens from Hongkong or Japan, will I get an import tax bill when it arrives in the uk?
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
      If it were a matter of not paying the tax then I would expect the savings by buying grey to be pretty much the same across the board, but they are not, they vary widely from brand to brand and from item to item. As an example, a lens I have often looked at with interest is the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art, which has been available at a pretty much unchanged price here of £571 for a long time. I thought I could get it much cheaper grey, but in fact the lowest grey price I have found is £549.99, hardly any saving, and that is from the same seller that I bought the Canon 35 mm macro from, at the much reduced price already discussed. In fact the Sigma is presently available from reputable dealer Mifsuds in the UK for £548, lower than the grey price.

In general, there are much bigger savings to be made by buying Canon grey than for Sigma. I conclude that this is because there is much more regional price variation in Canon. This is consistent with Canon's structure, where Canon inc Japan makes the products and sells them on to the largely independent regional distributors (e.g. Canon UK) who are then free to decide what price they will charge to retailers. Asian distributors appear to charge their retailers much lower prices than Canon UK or US for example and that is where the grey importers buy their stock.
      I think this may well contribute significantly to the variation. Possibly by having regional distributors creates pricing more on what the market can stand rather than a fixed profit margin

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
        Excuse my ignorance, but if I buy a Canon lens from Hongkong or Japan, will I get an import tax bill when it arrives in the uk?
        In short terms yes you should but it is not unknown for the item to be misdescribed to avoid paying the VAT on import. If that is the case it is your liabilty to do so. If you do not subsequently declare and pay the VAT due to HMRC you may have committed an offence

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Generally speaking the end customer doesn't receive the item direct from Hongkong or wherever. The importers have some sort of base in the UK or elsewhere in the EU and items are despatched to the customer from there. It is therefore not the responsibility of the end user to pay taxes, but the importer. So many items enter the country in this way that I'm sure HMRC must keep a close eye on them. I think the importers probably have one delivery a week or similar, with all the items ordered together, and then send out the items to the customers. In the case of HDEW at least, you can arrange to collect your item from their office if you wish.

When I've bought items supplied from outside the EU and sent directly to me, there are two scenarios. In most cases, such as those from Amazon Marketplace suppliers, all taxes are paid and documented. In others, where I've ordered direct from the supplier, I've had a letter in the post informing me of how much tax is due, I've paid it via the internet and received the parcel a day or two later with a label stuck on the outside stating that taxes have been paid. Suppliers should always make it clear when you order if they will pay the taxes or not.

Over the years Canon, and others, have tried to make cases in both EU and US courts to prevent anyone other than their authorised distributors from importing their products, but the courts have always rejected their arguments. They might not like it, but it isn't illegal.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Looking at Canon’s sales and profits, their argument would be commercially their policy works. Also we lose sight of historical norms. List price of mark 1 EOS 1d was £4995 19 years ago. Canon 50mm f1.0 sold for £2799 in 1989 so I would say their prices are largely in line with these levels. I shoot nearly entirely preowned myself as Canon kit is very reliable, shoot 200mm f1.8 and 28-80mm f2.8-4 and they still work perfectly.

Comment

I bought a new EF 100-400L Mkll, when it was first released, and it cost £2k. Shortly after it dropped to £1800. Now I see its jumped up to £2049.
              Dave

Comment

I bought the EOS 200 - 400 F4 1.4x when it first came out and retailed @ £11,999. Ok, I didn't pay that price because I am a long standing and regular customer at my pro shop and apart from free advice and lots of coffee, I get some discount.

However, seeing the price in America, I was rather tempted to book a flight to New York, do a bit of shopping and sight seeing, then pop into B&H and pay the equivalent of £8,500, but with my luck, even if I was tempted to sneak it through Customs to save the duty and VAT, I would have been caught. I am not sure whether I am honest and law abiding because I have personal integrity, or a fear of getting caught, or a mixture of both!

Six months later, the UK price was down to £8,500. I was not too happy when I next visited my Pro Shop, so I was compensated with chocolate biscuits with my coffee .............. Result!

Never a good idea to buy new kit during the honeymoon period when there are far more buyers than gear available. Generally a much better deal is available if you can wait for six months. However, my need was a solution to a problem and the sooner I had it the better.
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                  I bought a new EF 100-400L Mkll, when it was first released, and it cost £2k. Shortly after it dropped to £1800. Now I see its jumped up to £2049.
                  The prices definitely fluctuate , a few months after I brought my 300 f2.8 , it dropped down £500 odd quid , a year or so later it was back up to what I paid for it . Must make the second hand market just as dodgy when splashing out .

Comment

Working...
                  X