The Windmill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Windmill

This windmill is situated above the village of Turville on the Chiltern Hills

Windmill 1

I left the Red Kite in the shot, although you would do well to identify it!, as Turville is only a few miles from Stokenchurch; so there are lots about.
    Andrew

Re: The Windmill

Looks like a beautiful windmill, but the foreground over powers it IMO.

Tom

Comment

That looks idyllic....a fine composition!
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Tom, it’s useful to hear. It is privately owned, looks to have been converted to a home, so I was attempting to show it in its environment. Might be one for revisit when the the vegetation is green; spotting it the day after the snow cleared might not have helped.
        Andrew

Comment

Thanks Brian, pleased you liked it. It’s really interesting to get different opinions expressed as it does make me think more about the shot and why I felt it was worth taking.
          Andrew

Comment

I do like this shot and the foreground, although the front bush is a bit messy, leads us well into the image.

However it is a pity that there wasn't a bit more space on the left so we had all of the gate then there would have been a complete path up the hill for both the eye and the walker.

Then I'd have lost the water bath, the sign on the gate and the ugly pylon. The kite can stay!

Phew!! well you did say you liked differing opinions....
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
              ..... Phew!! well you did say you liked differing opinions....
              Thank for taking the time to look so closely! As photography is an art form not a science then there isn't a right answer, so all opinions are useful feedback.

Interesting point about the gate, I couldn't decide if to include or not, guess I stayed on the fence!
              Andrew

Comment

TBH I like the photo just as it is and like that you can see so much around it. I've just processed a windmill photo as well LOL
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian. Yes I saw yours on Flickr, different class altogether! I will have to check them out on here.
                  Andrew

Comment

I wouldn't say that Andrew yours is a strong image
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

It's a rather nicely composed landscape but it's a bit flat - clearly the light didn't help - but there's a picture in there for sure.

I played about with Levels and Curves layers, masked for the foreground, and set to screen and overlay modes plus anothe curves layer set to overlay and masked for the sky to produce this...

Windmill.jpg

Sadly the sky has broken up a bit due to downsizing but you get the idea.
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I do quite like the overall composition but as Tom has said the windmill is overpowered - with your title, i would expect to see the windmill taking centre stage

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Thanks Nigel that has certainly lifted it. Need to brush up my processing skills!
                          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                            .... with your title, i would expect to see the windmill taking centre stage

Stan
                            Thanks for the comments on the image Stan. Will have to work on my titles, but as soon as I saw Tom's comments the penny dropped; "The Windmill on the Hill" sets up expectations better!
                            Andrew

Comment

Nice, interesting rural scene.

You could call it "Windy Hill" as the picture shows a hill and the windmill suggests the wind even though static in the picture and the windy hill sounds like windmill too so it all ties together a bit cryptically.

Comment

Working...
                              X