Time rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time rant

I don't know if others have noticed that lately, when something happens at noon or midnight, a number of newspaper talk about 12 am or 12 pm. Don't they realise that 12 is the m and therefore cannot be ante or post - IT IS THE M!

Also why is this spell checker American - Aaaaarggggh

Rant over
    Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Re: Time rant

Originally posted by alannfrost View Post
    I don't know if others have noticed that lately, when something happens at noon or midnight, a number of newspaper talk about 12 am or 12 pm. Don't they realise that 12 is the m and therefore cannot be ante or post - IT IS THE M!

Also why is this spell checker American - Aaaaarggggh

Rant over
    Chill out man, chill out...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

They MAY be trying to distnguish between 00:00 hours and 12:00 hours
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

A single "Planck time" unit either side would then dictate whether it's actually AM or PM. For exactly how long would you like it to remain "midday"?
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I agree..Always throws me....why not just say 12 noon or 12 midnight...shouldn't assume we know what AM/PM means in this context....may be its one of those rules we should learn at school.........like the name St John is not pronounced saint john but singen......crazy!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
            .........like the name St John is not pronounced saint john but singen......crazy!
            Not to mention those Chumleys (Cholmondely), Fanshaws (Featherstonehaugh) and of course the world famous Siddybotome (Sidebottom). I recall my mother regaling us with the tale of a vicar in Warrington who's name was Longbottom and who insisted that it was pronounced Langboom - everyone just called him "Shortarse".
            John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
              Not to mention those Chumleys (Cholmondely), Fanshaws (Featherstonehaugh) and of course the world famous Siddybotome (Sidebottom). I recall my mother regaling us with the tale of a vicar in Warrington who's name was Longbottom and who insisted that it was pronounced Langboom - everyone just called him "Shortarse".
              [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                They MAY be trying to distnguish between 00:00 hours and 12:00 hours
                But that is midnight and noon.

Comment

Good Lord man what a problem to have hanging on your shoulders. Thought I had a problem when the car failed its MOT this morning, but nothing compared to not knowing whether its 1200 hours or 0000 hours Zulu
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I'm allowed a rant if I want. Saves me having a go at the wife or children or the cat, and it's a good excuse to crack open a bottle of red :-)

Comment

Originally posted by alannfrost View Post
                      I'm allowed a rant if I want. Saves me having a go at the wife or children or the cat, and it's a good excuse to crack open a bottle of red :-)
                      Who needs an excuse?
                      John Liddle

Comment

Thought I had a problem when the car failed its MOT this morning, but nothing compared to not knowing whether its 1200 hours or 0000 hours Zulu
                        Naaa.... I use Maasai time
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I'm retired, so what's this time nonsense?
                          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

I agree with tiger, are there days in a week even, let alone hours. Every day is a Saturday when retired & I should know retiring at 49 years old. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                              I agree with tiger, are there days in a week even, let alone hours. Every day is a Saturday when retired & I should know retiring at 49 years old. :)
                              You lucky, lucky b******!
                              Chris
                              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                              X