The Perfect Tripod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Perfect Tripod.

Mrs C isn't big on humour, but she did mention once that in a lift (elevator) there was an attractive, intelligent woman, Father Christmas and the perfect man. How many were in the lift she asked? Three I replied. No, she said; Just the one, everyone knows that Father Christmas and the perfect man don't exist.

That got me thinking about tripods, because unless you are tied to just one genre of photography, tripods are pretty much of a compromise. They need to be heavy enough to be stable, but I do carry a plastic bag to hang off the tripod with some local stones, or even photography gear. They need to be light enough to carry. If you are going trekking for miles laden down with camera gear, the extra weight of a steel and aluminium tripod isn't helpful. They need to be well built and reliable and in my experience, that means paying the extra for one of the premium makes. They need to be versatile. You need to be able to set it high when you need to and on the deck when you need. On rough terrain you also need to set it at awkward angles for maximum stability.

Then there are the multitude of heads. Do you go for a ball head, grip head, 3 way head, gimbal head, or fluid head? By the time you choose the right tripod for you and then the right head, there are lots of opportunities to end up with the wrong thing.

So what's my perfect tripod then? Can't find one; I use three and it used to be four and a heavy duty monopod. I use the big heavy duty number with a fluid head for my large telephoto's and generally in a bird hide. Then a carbon fibre 055 with a lightweight magnesium 3 way head and that is my general purpose tripod. Finally a little 190 carbon fibre, with a small ball head. Small and lightweight for when I travel abroad, or go somewhere where I don't think I will need a tripod, but I pack it anyway. And I still feel the need for a small table top tripod, but I have managed to resist the urge .............. so far!

C18I0797a by Colin Cross, on Flickr

C18I0798 by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: The Perfect Tripod.

Colin if u want a manfrotto desk top one i have one you can have for free.

This one with the head

Last edited by TonyT; 11-03-2018, 17:56.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I am so tempted to take advantage of your very generous offer, but then I ask why you would part with such a wondrous thing? Because it wasn't being used and that is exactly what would happen with me.

I would buy one because I "thought" I needed it, would use it at least twice, for no other reason that it was a new toy and then it would spend the rest of its life in a drawer of other needful things that never get used.
      Colin

Comment

Simply because I bought a RRS item and it is discarded these days, I would rather see it go to a good home, same went for the Monopod I gave to Nat, that just used to rattle around in the boot when replaced, by the time you have messed about trying to sell them, paid ebay charges etc, its simply not worth bothering about, I bought it used but not abused.

I use one of these now

When I caught wind that the tripod masters at Really Right Stuff were about to release a new product, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I love new gear. Because it had not even finished final production yet, they unfortunately could not send me a brand new one in time to satisfy my desire to see it. However, they didn't want to disappoint and instead sent me the prototype! Score! Let’s take a look at the TFA-01 Pocket Pod. So what is the Pocket Pod?

the one I have now will support my 500mm lens!!!!
        Last edited by TonyT; 11-03-2018, 18:57.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I think you need one of these Colin......its beauty is that it folds flat and is so small that it doesn't take any room up....just made for never being used!
          _MG_8688.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Tony if Colin doesn’t take you up on that kind offer I will ,just what I need for the macro I have planned .let me know obviously Colin has first choice

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              I think you need one of these Colin......its beauty is that it folds flat and is so small that it doesn't take any room up....just made for never being used!
              _MG_8688.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
              I bought one of those and as soon as I put the camera on it its leg's went, even with a light lens on it ..

I would love to find a decent travel tripod, but sadly by it being a travel tripod, legs are thin, loads of sections and still not man enough for the job
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I have one of these too, silly price but i got a mint used one at a good price.

Is the Really Right Stuff Ground-Level Aluminum Tripod right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Ian I would recommend Feisol to you, they manufacture other peoples tripods and do a desktop Carbon fibre jobby the TT15 that is a good price, I have their large tripod and monopod and swear by them.

This is the item I mean

Last edited by TonyT; 12-03-2018, 13:26.

Comment

I've been looking at the Feisol TT-15 II for low level shots of plants.
                  It seems you can only get it direct from Feisol at present, there don't seem to be any UK suppliers, unless anyone knows of one.
                  EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

the looks interesting Tony, plus I've got a spare ball head that I could use as well
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I have the 055 Colin mentioned , and an Velbon silver job . I only use the Velbon indoors , because it`s not as strong or versatile as the 055 . My biggest problem with tripods is the head , I hate ball and sockets , couldn`t afford the Wimberly or similar at the time ( or now for that matter ) . And so got the Manfrotto 393 head , which I love and recommend . My main problem through the spring and summer , is the 393 is not to clever with small lenses , and the plate is very large , so not really worth the agro of fitting to more than one thing . As I am much the opportunist Wildlife photographer , when it comes to bugs and plants , nearly all my Macro stuff has to be done hand held .

Comment

The perfect tripod:

Weighs nothing
                        Can carry huge loads
                        Is as rigid as a slab of granite and utterly vibration resistant
                        Folds up into something that you can slip in a pocket (or something pocket size)
                        Does NOT fold up the moment you put your camera on it
                        Does NOT fight back when you try to set it up for an awkward shot
                        Does NOT bite your fingers at every opportunity

Does NOT exist... :(

:biggrin:
                        Last edited by El Sid; 12-03-2018, 15:47.
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Amazon sell Feisol https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feisol-TT-1.../dp/B016B3HUT8

I bought my large Feisol tripod off Ebay as the UK rep was selling up and listed all his stock, mine was a demo model. I bought the levelling base off Feisol EU and it was painless, well they sent the wrong one, but when alerted they shipped a new one to me, emailed me a returns postage label and asked me to post the wrong one back which I did after the correct item arrived..
                          Last edited by TonyT; 12-03-2018, 16:05.

Comment

I've been looking for the TT-15 II on Amazon for months, but the message is always the same, still is today:
                            "This item has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives."
                            It has been the same since last year, as the item clearly has been released for a while, I don't know why they still don't have it.
                            Not on EBay either, will go to Feisol direct.
                            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Is the Feisol TT-15 Mini Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Comment

Working...
                              X