Market Cross in Cheddar on a dull day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out and about with SWMBO agian yesterday, in Cheddar.

It was a very dull day (rain came as we left) so the image below is rather flat I'm afraid, but an interesting bit of history in the centre of the village. Rather surprisingly I was informed by an old gaffer who was resting on a nearby wall that the cross on the top was paid for by Queen Victoria.

Market Cross in Cheddar by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Just a bit more head room John and it would be a better composition. I’m only viewing on my phone but it looks like a bit of extra canvas would work.
    Sadly this sort of structure isn’t built nowadays.
    Did you try the Bath Arms

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Re: Market Cross in Cheddar on a dull day

Thanks Peter.
      Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
      Just a bit more head room John and it would be a better composition. I’m only viewing on my phone but it looks like a bit of extra canvas would work.
      Sadly this sort of structure isn’t built nowadays.
      Did you try the Bath Arms

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
      I took the image below a little earlier in the morning. Although it has more room above the cross (it started off as portrait mode) I think the first image puts the building into the village context rather better. Hey Ho! we live and learn (I hope)

Market Cross in Cheddar (2) by John Liddle, on Flickr
      John Liddle

Comment

the last one is the shot for me, but its one of those photos that I think you need to go wild with the PP to make it into a real statement :)
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          the last one is the shot for me, but its one of those photos that I think you need to go wild with the PP to make it into a real statement :)
          Challenge accepted!

Market Cross in Cheddar (3) by John Liddle, on Flickr
          John Liddle

Comment

now that works so much better :)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Thanks for your encouragement Ian.
              John Liddle

Comment

Let me be a bit controversial here John, after Ian's challenge, what did you actually see with your own eyes, the warmth of the Market Cross as illustrated in shot 1, or the coldness of shot 2 ?

Comment

David - thanks for contributing - I find myself a bit confused (it doesn't take much these days) - did you perchance have your references to shot 1 and shot 2 transposed? I ask because for me (at least) shot 2 is the warmer of the two.
                  John Liddle

Comment

Interesting shots...in No 1 I'd perhaps crop the butchers shop off altogether to shift the subject off centre and encourage the eye to travel along the road to the Bath Arms. I think the butchers shop being rendered is a bit distracting from the main subject and general theme of stone buildings.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Nope, I felt the darkness of the 2nd shot took the lightness of the sandstone away & made the discolouration on the stone almost black.

Comment

Ah - enlightenment has dawned (maybe) - I think when you refer to Shot 1 you are are meaning the version immediately prior to Tigger's challenge and by Shot 2 you mean the result of the challenge - I'm sure you will correct me if that is wrong!

Assuming that I am correct, then the colour as I saw it was much as that in the pre-challenge version. The result of the challenge has been produced by processing in Silver Efex pro for mono conversion and then the stone has been highlighted (a bit messily, I admit - it was done in a hurry) with selective colour popping, so it is (intentionally) an unrealistic representation of the actual scene.
                        John Liddle

Comment

Interesting choices, John. For me the composition of the 2nd (and 3rd) images works better because you can see more of the pillary thingy inside. But I don't much like how visible the pink sign and car windscreen are as they detract from the lovely stonework. So I like the background desaturation of the 3rd although I can see the processing won't be to all tastes. I'd probably go for slightly more subtlety, but I'm bearing in mind you were responding to a Tigger gauntlet.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thank you for your perceptive comments Alex.

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                            ...... So I like the background desaturation of the 3rd although I can see the processing won't be to all tastes. I'd probably go for slightly more subtlety, but I'm bearing in mind you were responding to a Tigger gauntlet.
                            Exactly!
                            John Liddle

Comment

lol....

Comment

Working...
                              X