Army Barracks -Urbex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Barracks -Urbex

I do like a bit of Urbex and this place fascinates me but I've never really felt happy with photos here, not sure why.

My latest attempts are with 5 bracketed images to control the light extremes & then the usual tweak in PP

There are 2 slightly different images, tried one as mono

Husband does not "get" this image at all and he may be right (!)

Please feel free to be as fierce as you like with C&C as your input would be appreciated

Dilapidated and Defaced by Barbara Bett, on Flickr

Delapidated and Defaced - Mono by Barbara Bett, on Flickr
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Army Barracks -Urbex

I think you have done a cracking job with these...I think the colour version works best maybe because of the graffiti ....though there is plenty of contrast and the mono works too.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Both shots are very well processed, and I too prefer the colour one. Having said that, to some extent I'm with hubby. It's probably the lack of a point of interest to draw my eye in just makes me not know what to look at.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

just love these graffiti covered wrecks but for impact needs to be in colour.

There was a super old mill we shot a couple of years ago in North Dorset and sadly it is no more and replaced by modern houses

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Will as always, I'll be the odd man out and say that the BW version for me really brings out the urban look. Over all the problem is the even lighting across the images (especially the color one) that doesn't help to lead the eye. That is what the BW version is better as the white on the walls leads the eye directly to the graffiti. IMO, if you darken the Ceiling by about 2 stops that will help in moving the eyes toward the graffiti.

Tom

Comment

Thanks chaps for your input.

I did try it once with a tatty old chair in the light from the window but it just got lost with everything else going on.

And maybe that's the problem- just a bit too busy albeit interesting with the graffiti and the shafts of light

Here's your suggestion, Tom-
            [IMG]Barracks mono 2 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

excellent Bo...and partners will NEVER get us LOL...

another vote for colour as like Stan when you have graffiti it needs to be colour..
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Can't decide between colour or mono - either way a cracking shot!
                Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

I think the darkening of the ceiling helped.

Tom

Comment

THanks everyone for your input. Looks like it does have merit after all

Comment

I have to say that the darkening of the ceiling on the mono has improved it a lot, but like others have said, I think ideally the graffiti needs to be in colour. Maybe doing similar with the colour shot by darkening or de-saturating the ceiling & floor and increasing the saturation a tad on the graffiti may give more of a focal point to the graffiti itself. Just a thought...
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Chris: I tried it and it works, makes the emphasis on the graffiti and brings some definite areas of focus for the eyes.

The curious thing is that it's always been the shafts of light on the floor that have grabbed my attention, which obviously change at different times of day.

Comment

I have lived in worse during my service career lol.

Colour one for me too.
                          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I like the darkened ceiling one. It certainly makes the most of the lines and shapes formed by the rafters. Have you tried colour popping the graffiti so that you have the best of both worlds?
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

If I hadn't seen the colour then the mono would do me but in this case colour rules...
                              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                              X