New ssd...wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New ssd...wow!

Just fitted a ssd to my laptop, wow, what a difference! I have a 5 year old Samsung with a core i5 running win 8.1. With 16gb ram, so no slouch, but it took approx 4 mins from powering on, to be fully useable, Photoshop took around 15 seconds to open, similar for lightroom. Now, boots up and useable in 20 seconds! Everything fully loaded, ps and LR open in 2 seconds.... everything is so much quicker....copying raws is way faster, it's like a new laptop...would recommend it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Re: New ssd...wow!

Have to agree. When I replaced my aged XP machine I specified an SSD based on the performance of one fitted to PC at work and like you I now get near instant start up and shutdown and much faster program performance.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I did the same with my ageing iMac and it transformed it. Now specified in my new iMac and the whole thing is just lightning fast.

Just a thought though: A hard drive is a very complicated mechanical device and for 1TB cost around £50. On that basis, why does the same size SSD, which is basically a big memory card, cost around 5 times as much?
      Colin

Comment

Agreed, until they become standard, I guess they'll charge a premium

Comment

Originally posted by supergeeman View Post
          Agreed, until they become standard, I guess they'll charge a premium
          So basically, they charge five times as much .................... because they can!
          Colin

Comment

Yep! But totally worth it!

Comment

I won't buy a machine with spinning rust in it now, unless it's high-capacity storage as an adjunct to an SSD. Life's too short
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                So basically, they charge five times as much .................... because they can!
                Apart from the technology being completely different, so per-Gigabyte price comparisons aren't useful anyway, it'll also be down to supply and demand.

Interestingly, a quick Google shows that in 2000 the price per-GB for HDD was around $11, and now it's $0.03, although the consensus seems to be that HDDs won't get any cheaper per-GB now. In 1981 it was $500,000 per GB. Yikes!
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Be aware that within the IT industry there are cautionary tales about the mean failure rates of some SSDs. This is flash memory and therefore has a limited number of read write cycles. Make sure that you have the damned thing backed up.
                  Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I shifted my C drive HDD to become the E drive, and this where my data, including images are stored. The C drive is now an ssd, and contains the OS, and programs. Everything runs so much faster than when the C drive was an HDD. Everything is backed up on two external HDDs, using Acronis True Image.
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post

Apart from the technology being completely different, so per-Gigabyte price comparisons aren't useful anyway, it'll also be down to supply and demand.

Interestingly, a quick Google shows that in 2000 the price per-GB for HDD was around $11, and now it's $0.03, although the consensus seems to be that HDDs won't get any cheaper per-GB now. In 1981 it was $500,000 per GB. Yikes!
                      I would doubt in 1981 that GB storage existed, as the basic file systems back then would struggle with a drive of that size - I ran a network in 1991 for several hundred users and its massive file storage was 20MB total

The biggest drives in 1991 were about 160MB and they were rare and large. The 1st GB drive didn't really arrive until mid-late 90s and it was a massive thing with a massive power load to the point it blew the fileserver power supply when it was added with the existing drive.

Comment

Large mass storage has been around on mainframes for a long time. The drives were massive (Size of a dustbin) and requires 3 phase power supplies. The manufacturing cost of SSD's is still very much higher than for hard discs. It will come down just as other flash memory has reduced in price.
                        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X