Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Printer needed but first need to understand Canon's product codes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer needed but first need to understand Canon's product codes...

I need a new printer and would prefer it to be a Canon but am confused by the naming and product codes used such as TS series, MX series, MG series, Pixma, Maxify, etc. Can anyone, then, give me a quick tutorial in what they mean please?

The printer I want has to include a scanner and be Windows Vista compatible (even though my 'photo' PC is Win10) and A4 is fine if anyone has suggestions.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 23-03-2018, 12:03.

Re: Printer needed but first need to understand Canon's product codes...

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
    I need a new printer and would prefer it to be a Canon but am confused by the naming and product codes used such as TS series, MX series, MG series, Pixma, Maxify, etc. Can anyone, then, give me a quick tutorial in what they mean please?
    Not really. no! Does this help at all? http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Pr...ls/td-p/132415

The printer I want has to include a scanner and be Windows Vista compatible (even though my 'photo' PC is Win10) and A4 is fine if anyone has suggestions.
    [/QUOTE]

I have a PIXMA MG4250 which seems to work absolutely fine for the use it gets (just printing documents, plus some copying & scanning). I use Windows 10 only but there is a Vista driver for it on the Canon website.
    https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...x?type=drivers

It's currently got £20 off, so just £35, at John Lewis, although you don't say whether you're after something as cheap & cheerful as that or one that is a bit more substantial.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/canon-pixm...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris, that was helpful and shows that I'm not the first to be confused

I think it's the TS series I'm interested in and was quite taken by the TS9150 but it doesn't support Vista and the older TS9050 are rare or overpriced. Next comes the TS8150 (again no Vista support) but my local print supplier (Refresh Cartridges) have agreed to sell me a TS8050 one at a very decent price.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Cool.

I'm sure you're fully aware of the cost of replacement ink cartridges. Mine has just started complaining that it's getting low and it's almost as cheap to get a complete replacement printer from JL!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Cost of original ink is always completely crazy. Canon recently announced new printers with refillable cartridges, but they're not photo printers.
          Manufacturers claim they make no profit on printers, only on the ink. That's why they try so hard to make it impossible to use third party cartridges and inks.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I find Argos is usually the cheapest option ,just don’t look at it as a keeper as I now find it’s cheaper to buy a replacement printer than to buy new inks ,and that includes third party ones ,once the ink runs out simply buy another printer .stupid but it’s a fact

Argos prices ,printer scanners price as of today .

mg 2550s £24.99
            mg 4250. £34.99 the one I'll probably buy next
            mg 3050. £29.99
            mg.3650 £39.99 my current one

as the replacement inks for mine are around the £30 area for genuine cartridges for a extra fiver its a no brainer .cartridge refills I always find to be low quality so junk the lump and buy new
            Last edited by the black fox; 23-03-2018, 20:54.

Comment

Thanks for the extra feedback folks.

I now have the TS8050 installed on our home wifi network and it's working well being accessible from any of our PCs, tablets and smartphones. It's duplex, has two paper trays plus a third tray for printing on CDs. Text is excellent and, while photos are exceptionally sharp and detailed, they are too dark in both colour and mono so will investigate what I can do to improve that.

When I bought it it came with a set of 'start up' cartridges (six colours) so bought an extra set for £18.97 which was a lot less than Canon are asking! My supplier Refresh Cartridges have supplied all my inks for years and are highly recommended.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Working...
              X