• Show
Clear All

Re: Fly Tying

Works of art Colin
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

My fishing skills consists of picking it up at Tescos, but I do recognise talent where I see it, superb work both in the manufacture and in the photography.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

My fishing skills consists of picking it up at Tescos
        I have been there as well, but I had the opportunity one day and all I wanted to do was catch a trout. You can't monster or bully these. A reasonable rainbow is around 6 lbs and you are using a 4 lb leader on the line, so you have to play the fish and let it run when it wants. If you get a bite, and that's difficult enough, it can take a fair bit of time until it is in the net.

All I wanted was to catch and land a fish. Then I wanted to catch one on a dry fly, then I wanted to tie my own fly and catch one and so it went on. I quite fancied making my own rod, but thankfully, my OCDC didn't quite go that far.
        Colin

Comment

Only just stumbled onto this thread, fine work Colin, never used a traditional for the Salmon, one of these days I will. I tend to use some rather scruffy looking things like Snelders or flame throwers, which sums up my personal tying skills, though I have fooled a couple of Grilse with them.
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Like Colin I went through all. I trout issues ( not rod making though), then living up here & very cheap fishing on the Garry, turned to Salmon, caught a 13 1/2 lb on a trout rod & Ally Shrimp 6 lb leader, loved it.

Comment

I nearly missed this thread (sadly so many have to pass by due to time constraints) but I'm so glad I didn't as I'm in awe at the exceptionally fine work both photographically and of fly tying

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Thank you for all of your very kind comments.

I thought I would post a photo of my nemesis fly. It is called the Butcher and was banned for a period on certain waters, because it caught too many fish. For some reason, this is a fly I couldn't tie well. My results always looked rushed and scruffy, with the wings mismatched and too thin, or too thick. However much care I invested, ensuring that each stage of the tie was the best I could manage, the final result was still below par. I am not talking about a couple of weeks of disappointment here, this was a couple of years worth. I became fearful of this fly and even though I could tie fully dressed Salmon flies of exhibition quality, this one humbled me.

And then one day it just clicked into place. No reason for it to come good, it just did and I have been able to tie it to this standard ever since. For information, this fly measures around 120mm on my screen and about 20mm in real life, or about 6x magnification.

IMG_1534 by colin cross, on Flickr

My next post to this thread will probably be my last. It will be an emerging buzzer. I know something about the life cycle and anatomy of this little critter that always makes me laugh, so something fitting to end on.
                Colin

Comment

Colin I know nothing whatsoever about fishing or tying flies, I zip mine up
                  But they are fantastic you are a very talented man it seems in more ways than one
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

you are a very talented man
                    Or, it could be that I am too tight to go into a shop and buy them.
                    Colin

Comment

This silver Butcher is about the best I have ever seen, certainly is exhibition standard to me, mine ( though they do catch) are tramps compared to this. Could easily be used in a reference book with photography of this standard. Superb Colin. Look forward to seeing your buzzer. Dave

Comment

Many thanks for your comments Dave, here is the Buzzer.

A bit of background to start with and you will then appreciate why I have always been amused when tying Buzzers. They start their life cycle at the bottom of lakes and rivers, grubbing around and then changes happen within their body and they start to metamorphose into the next stage as an emerging buzzer and this is the stage I have tied. They grow filaments and these are the white areas you can see on the tied fly. They travel up from the bottom to the top of the lake and the white filaments are actually breather tubes, which they push out of the water into the air, so that they can breathe for the first time, as they emerge from their bodies into their next stage.

The more astute amongst you will have noticed that there are two sets of breather tubes, one set from their head and another from their bottom. During my working life, I have come across many individuals who regularly talked through their ass, but until I learn't about the life cycle of the buzzer, I had never come across any creature that could actually breathe through their ass.

Hence my permanent smile whenever I tied Buzzers.

This is enlarged for publication and the actual size of buzzers are between 5 and 10mm.

IMG_1471 by colin cross, on Flickr
                        Colin

Comment

Beautiful pieces of work Colin. Agree the photos alone are text book
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di.

I was very fortunate in being able to tie them and photograph them and that just about guaranteed them being published.
                            Colin

Comment

Working...
                            X