walking down into the subway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

walking down into the subway

I've not taken any street shots for a while....any comments welcome...(200D with 24mmSTM)
    _MG_9445-2.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: walking down into the subway

I like that Brian, lots of potential and strong composition.

However, the bleakness for me is hinting at black & white. I have had a quick play in Photoshop and it works better ............ I think.
    Colin

Comment

I'd welcome your take on this if you would care to post it Colin?
      Last edited by @imagesBV; 01-04-2018, 06:56.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Here you go.

27265128748_311a7cd87f_c by colin cross, on Flickr
        Colin

Comment

I do love that composition, Brian, the curves against the rectilinear building work really well. And the person is just perfect in the frame. The solid blue wall is such a strong colour I wasn't convinced that mono would be preferable, until I saw Colin's edit and how this makes you notice the textures, not just the colour. So both work really well, but I'm edging towards the mono.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Colin and Alex....here is my effort prepared on Colin's suggestion and before his post...and I've got to say his version has the edge but I'm fairly pleased .....still can't decide if losing the blue walls is best though.
            copy1 (4 of 14).jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
            Last edited by @imagesBV; 01-04-2018, 12:56.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Would you believe it, I can't make up my mind. The orginal works for me because of the colour palette. The blue of the walls, the yellow of the skirt and the brown of the building behind, but then I see the mono and it works on lines and the curves so well and shows the textures... Mmn.

Either way its a great shot. How about a duo presentation, side by side in the same frame then you have the best of both and something to start the brain ticking.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di...I think both work....the colours are too good to lose so Ill keep both shots
                _MG_9445-2.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                copy1 (4 of 14).jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Colour Colour Colour all the way for me.

That curvy blue wall and the yellow skirt just jump out of the picture.

Why be conventional and mono it?...

Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Cheers Bo.....definitely keeping both...and printing the colour one.

Newcastle is changing a lot....the school in Queens Gardens has been flattened and a new council office erected - completed actually but has had its cladding taken down for replacement.....also the jubilee baths has been replaced and new student accommodation building is in construction next door.
                    Ill get around to posting some images soon.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Glad you've leaned towards the colour one for your wall.

I'll be very interested to see your pictures of N/C. I whizzed through last autumn one evening in the rain and also spent a couple of days there with my brother a few years ago, the changes are fascinating.

AD135.jpg

Since you mention Queens Gardens and the Jubilee Baths I've dug out a picture of Nelson Place in I think 1963 which is when the Roxy cinema was demolished. The old Jubilee Slipper & Turkish Baths were of course on the RHS of the picture. Queen Vic spent a lot of her time in the Station Walks (we lived right next to the pre-Beeching Station) before going down the hill again to Queens Gardens. The schoolgirl in the boater was an Orme Girl - to be my school a couple of years later on.

If you keep your pics for your daughters they'll be fascinated with them in years to come!

Comment

That is very interesting...so the statue must have been moved into the gardens?.....and the street on the left is King St?
                        We moved to the area in 1991 so have only a vague history.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Nicely composed image Brian

Tom

Comment

HI Brian-

Yes Queen Vic moved to the oval lawn in Station Walks when the Roxy was demolished and the first development of the roundabout at Nelsons Place took place.The street on the left is King St.
                            Online you can see old pics of N/C - such as the R/Wy Station, Municipal Hall, Old Jubilee Baths and pictures of the Ironmarket & High Street show individual shop names the likes of which we don't see anymore -Hubanks,Henry White,Blockley.
                            The point I'll make (rather than just rambling on, showing my age & hijacking this photography forum) is that the pictures that you take will be gazed on in amazement in years to come by future generations such as your children.
                            Quite a thought .....................

Comment

Working...
                            X