34046 Braunton...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

34046 Braunton...

Various factors have kept me away from my cameras and this forum for far too long so, with nothing new to work with, I took a trip down memory lane and came across this shot of Braunton on the Torbay Express way back in 2013. My PP abilities were woeful in those days and I think some of the tricks I've learned since have revived the shot:

Torbay Express 08 Sep 13 by John Leah, on Flickr

I printed it out on my new Canon Pixma TS8050 printer and, while the detail was exquisite, it was far darker than I see on the screen so I'd appreciate feedback on whether it looks dark to you. If so I'll get a screen calibrator, if not I'll adjust the printer.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 03-04-2018, 17:27.

Re: 34046 Braunton...

Delightful shot with good composition and the exposure is spot on. That lovely south Devon red soil brings back many happy memories.

As far as the image is concerned, not too dark here. In fact I would venture it is spot on. Down to the printer and/ or paper profiles I would suggest.
    Colin

Comment

Wonderful capture John, it looks fine to me both on here or your Flickr page.
      I agree with Colin regarding the dark print. But matching a screen to print images is a dark art as far as I’m concerned. However paper manufacturers do/can supply custom profiles for printers and their own papers.
      What paper and from which software did you use when you got the dark print?

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Spot on image.....my printer, a Canon Pro 10, would print everything at least a stop too dark...so I always compensate with printer settings and usually print a really small version first.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Excellent image John

Tom

Comment

Lovely image, John, wonderful composition. As everyone says, perfectly bright. Just a little suggestion though, if you are going to print it out to hang it up, do you really want to leave that electrical connection in bottom right? If it was me walking past it every day I know I'd start to grumble to myself.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Terrific image John - you had a good vantage point!
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

thats a big WOW shot, well done
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Agree with the others, that is a great shot.
                  do you really want to leave that electrical connection in bottom right?
                  as Alex pointed out, but for me that would also apply to the two cars, especially the red one!
                  Andrew

Comment

Thanks folks, I appreciate the positive feedback

That electrical connection box was getting to me so I've removed it plus picked up some litter and parked the cars out-of-shot - revised image now uploaded.

Thanks also for letting me know it's the printer I need to investigate to brighten the print. I really can't recall what glossy photo card I used as the packaging has been recycled. No problem, though, as I'm nearly out so will get fresh supplies in (any suggestions? I know Canon would say only use their most expensive paper but then they would ).

There's a story to this shot as it's one of the first I took with the 7D (my first DSLR using a 30+ year old EF 35-105 lens) and the first I submitted to Steam Railway magazine. SR rejected it but were kind enough to say the setting and composition was just what they wanted but I "wasn't lucky with the light". True the light was on the far side casting a shadow but it was my afore mentioned lack of PP skills that resulted in the rejection. Would they have used this better processed version? I can't say but I have been fortunate in having some of my submissions used - although I was 'more fortunate with the light' with them.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

What an excellent shot -- brings back many a happy memory of travelling on this line way back in the 1950's for our holidays in Brixham
                      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Nice work, can't beat some steam
                        Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Can I confess I've just spent ten minutes looking for the red car
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks folks

Di: I moved the car... I pushed it over the cliff

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

I'd be chuffed (sorry!) if I'd taken this lovely shot.

Printers, paper and ink - NIGHTMARE to get right.

Comment

Working...
                              X