Challenge 141: Gardeners' World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 141: Gardeners' World

OK, here's an easy subject which should be doable for pretty much everyone, whatever the weather, and without having to travel too far.

The remit for this challenge is to photograph anything you like, yes anything you want be it animal, vegetable, mineral, man-made, or whatever. The one and only restriction is that it must be something that is within the confines of your garden. Hopefully this will provide plenty of scope for anything and everything and I look forward to seeing a variety of garden-based subjects.

Obviously I'm not in a position to check whether the shot really was taken in your garden I'll just have to trust you all to be honest with me on this.

As in previous challenges, I will try to judge the entries on technical merit, composition, etc. but one factor will always be whether the image makes me smile and sticks in my mind.

Please abide by the general rules:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

The challenge will run for the next four weeks (or just under) with the closing date for entries as midnight GMT on Sunday 29th April.

Happy snapping and I look forward to seeing the entries.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Challenge 141: Gardeners' World

I live in a city-centre flat lol!!! No gardens here!!!
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Ah, err...umm, OK - window box?

You may have special dispensation to use somewhere close to home then. Nearest park or green space, perhaps?
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Relaxing in our orchard this evening - didn't bat an eyelid when I leaned on the fence in full view - cheeky blighter!

Orchard deer by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

My Gardeners dream world.

4S7A0974 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

The blossom on our pear tree...
            _MG_0203.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
            Last edited by @imagesBV; 29-04-2018, 19:49.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Garden Rockery

Garden Rockery by Ian, on Flickr
              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

In the slug's lair.

Slug's nest
                by AlexR!, on Flickr
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Got carried away with just joining so I deleted my entry as it was taken last year! Must read ALL the rules!
                  Last edited by stevejf; 26-04-2018, 15:14. Reason: Adding Camera info

Comment

Ribbit, Ribbit

Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Cherry Tree blossom against the evening sky and moon
                      Attached Files
                      :- Sean

6D Mk II / 100-400 f4 L / Tamron 90 Macro / Sigma 70-200 f2.8 / Sigma 24 – 70 F2.8 /Tamron 15-30mm f2.8
                      Speedlite 580 EX / Manfrotto tripods x 2

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanfi...ography/albums

Comment

Our garden looks like a wasteland at the moment, so how about:

Rainbow Web

.DAVID.
                        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

[IMG]House Leek by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks for all your entries. I will take a good look over them and post the results later (hopefully!)
                            Chris

Comment

Thanks once again to everyone who entered this month's challenge.

I've had a good look at each and every one (checking for any obvious fakes!) and have added some constructive criticism relating to each shot which I hope you will find useful. As ever, please remember that the comments are just my own thoughts and that I have no background in judging photo competitions!

John Liddle: Orchard Deer
                              You must have a rather large garden to have a deer come and have a little lie down in it! It's a lovely composed shot with the deer on the third, and nicely sharp. I like the way the deer looks slightly sunlit whereas the rest is more shady. I'm wondering if it looks a little unbalanced vertically in that there's more foreground than background although I can see that more background could be distracting. If being overly picky, I sort of want him (her?) to be moved just a tad lower in the shot.

Daisy M: Gardener's Dream World
                              A lovely personal shot which looks a lot sharper on Flickr than on here. On the basis that this is you and Mrs M then I assume you used a tripod & timed shutter release, meaning I can envisage a mad dash back to the bench to try to look relaxed! Being picky (again!) I wonder whether a slightly wider shot to bring in a bit more space around and show the tops of the trees might have added to the rural-ness of the location. And that beer glass - it's empty! I do have to add a very well done for getting your copy of EOS Magazine in shot, and of course being included and name-checked in the latest newsletter!

brianvickers: Pear Blossom
                              Got to love a bit of spring blossom! I know from my personal experience that macro shots of flowers are hard to get right, especially with whites. They do a look a bit blown in a few areas. And even at f/11 I can see the lack of depth-of-field on the full-size version on Flickr. The "fluffy" area (whatever that is called) behind the stamens & stigma are pin-sharp whereas I think it would have been better to have the stigma in focus. This is only really noticeable on full size viewing, though.

farider: Gardern Rockery
                              Beautiful colours here and it's well composed. I like the lighting & contrasts and the way that there's just a black background. It almost looks like this could have been taken on the edge of a very long drop into some kind of void. It's also very sharp, a real testament to the body and lens combo (well, I would say that, wouldn't I?)

AlexR!: Slug's Lair
                              Now that's an interesting shot. I'm not sure where one goes to search out a slug' nest, apart from your garden of course, but I reckon you've managed to capture the essence of what a slug's world might look like. Also not sure whether you added a bit of a vignette in PP or whether it's just the way the light fell for you but it works very well.

ST-EOS: Ribbit, ribbit
                              This is a nice, fun shot which makes up for the complete lack of gnomes entered into this challenge. It's sharp, nicely composed and a has a nice range of colours. The vertical "grassy" leaves are a little distracting as they are right where my eye is drawn to. Perhaps a little "pre-processing" with some scissors might have at least reduced their height a little. My assistant judge said she wasn't overly bothered by it, though.

thatsasmaybe: Cherry Tree Blossom
                              I can see what you were trying to do here but unfortunately the direct upload has left the image very soft. I would have liked to have been able to view the original on Flickr. What I can see is there's a lovely blue sky and I like the idea of getting the moon in shot too. I think perhaps that portrait view might have worked better than landscape to get more of the tree in. That or zoom in even further to have just the top of the tree and the moon a little larger.

David Stallard: Rainbow Web
                              Another unusual but very interesting shot. Again, I'd have liked to see the original in full size but understand that it's not really something you're likely to put on your own site. I really like the shallow depth-of-field and the way that the colours of the rainbow are picked out in detail. I can't quite make out of that is the spider in the very centre - I like to think so!

lunarbo: House Leek
                              This reminds me of my childhood as my dad has a load of these growing in the conservatory. It's super sharp (zoom in on Flickr for the real effect) and I like the way you've not included the whole of the plant but offset it for a really good composition. The tiny water droplets all add to the textures too - did you mist the flower before shooting it? The yellows, greens and purples all work well together too.

I've been lucky to judge several challenges to date and I can say that picking a winner out of this little lot has been the hardest, so a very well done to everyone who submitted an entry. I do however have to choose a top three and put them in order, so here goes...

3rd - farider with Gardern Rockery
                              2nd - AlexR! with Slug's Lair
                              1st - lunarbo with House Leek

So onward to Challenge No. 142. Over to you, Bo!
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X