Canon 100-400L mk i) problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 100-400L mk i) problem

My Canon 100-400L mk 1 ( trombone action) will focus at 100 and at 400mm but at everything in between whirrs and clicks but will not focus.

It is out of warranty but has been carefully and not excessively used

I wrote to Fixation UK (authorised Canon repairs)who quoted me £130 ex VAT for labour but were unable to tell me what if anything might be required. They will give a free estimate but not "on the spot"

Obviously my situation is compounded by living in Spain but I have the chance to get the lens to UK in person as I am popping over to see family soon and can get it to them in London. They can then parcel it back to me

So questions for you please

1. Any thoughts on what the likely problem is - this might give me an idea of final cost of repair &/or if it's worth it.
    2. Anyone dealt with Fixation UK - Ok or not?

Thanks in advance chaps
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Canon 100-400L mk i) problem

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
    So questions for you please

1. Any thoughts on what the likely problem is - this might give me an idea of final cost of repair &/or if it's worth it.
    2. Anyone dealt with Fixation UK - Ok or not?
    No and no unfortunately (or luckily!) but with Fixation being an authorised Canon Repair Centre I'd have hoped they'd give top notch service.

I've had this bookmarked for a little while now, although not sure whether it helps or not.

https://www.canon.co.uk/images/UK%20...14-1174182.pdf
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Apparently Fixation partners to provide Wex repair services....should be good then if their store reputation is to go by.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

what you have to weigh up is the final cost versus replacing it bo ,I had a similar quandary with my sigma 150 macro recently the initial quote was for £ 31.00 and it ended up at £109 but that was still a bargain as I bought the lens spares or repairs . coming back to yours its a used lens that has been superseded is it worth pouring in a couple to a few hundred to repair it or would it be more logical to sell it as is spares or repairs and put whatever you get towards a brand new one with warranty ,i.e a brand new sigma 100-400is is half the weight circa £650 from London camera exchange and comes with a 3 year warranty and is supposedly as good as the new canon MKii at over twice the price ,they might even give you a on the spot trade in deal if you keep stume

p.s it sounds like the ribbon might have snapped inside yours which is a total strip down and rebuild your probably looking at £350 to £450 total
        Last edited by the black fox; 04-04-2018, 11:58.

Comment

Can't help with the problem but I had a fault with my 24-105 lens and sent it to Colchester camera repairs who replaced the aperture box after a complete strip down and service £187, as Jeff says you have to weigh up is it worth trying them and then make up your own mind

Alan

Comment

If it's the MK 2 motor Canons price is about £125, see

I seem to recall someone having similar and it was a ribbon in the lens.
            Last edited by TonyT; 04-04-2018, 16:57.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

OK guys thanks for the information.

Sounds as if these Fixation people are OK to use and doing some jiggling of schedule I should be able to give them 2-3 days to do an estimate and make a decision from there- I'll explain my circumstances and dates and hopefully they will oblige.

Foxy- I hear you loud and clear and if it's the ribbon I too would question paying that much for a repair. I did not know about the Sigma 100-400, only its big brother the 150-600 which is just too heavy. So the Sigma could be an option although I can't imagine LCE paying out to take the old one from me without checking !

I had a Canon 18-200 snap the ribbon 3 years ago. Really p****s me off that I spent 600 & 1000 quid on lenses that FAIL with less than 5 years of careful and moderate use. GRRRR
              Last edited by lunarbo; 04-04-2018, 17:04.
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

which is why I suggested the sigma route ,all there u.k purchased lenses carry a genuine 3 year warranty ,my big sport recently ended up being sent back to Japan under warranty 35 months old used daily battered and scratched to hell ,I got it back looking like a brand new one which I suspect it might be with my serial number etched in . the sigma 100-400 weighs ounces its very lightweight doesn't even need a tripod collar .but theres also the 150-600 contemporary which is quiet lightweight . if it was me I would go down the route of selling or part exchanging the canon either in shop or via e.bay and go for a new one .

also if fixation do strip your lens down they are also going to factor in a clean into the price ,the mk1 is not called a dust pump for nothing.

and that quote of £130 is a strip it down quote any repairs are on top ,money down the pan in my book

Comment

Well, much as I never seem to disagree with Jeff, the 100-400mm appears to be worth £675 - £800 in full working condition. Therefore, if it were mine I wouldn't be too uncomfortable with a repair cost of around £400. The alternatives are £650 for the Sigma, or £1,000 plus for a new Canon, so £400 is the lesser of the three evils.
                  Colin

Comment

looking at it in those terms Colin it looks good ,the used market is crazy at the moment and I hadn't really looked at the current prices

Comment

It will be interesting to know the outcome of this one Jeff, because I have only offered a logical outcome. There is also an emotional context as essentially, the lens has let Bo down. Can she trust the repairers to remedy the faults and restore her faith in the lens?

What's it to be Barbara ............... head or heart?
                      Colin

Comment

I used Fixation Bo & when they have found the problem & give you a firm quote on what it will cost to repair & if you want to go ahead or not, no problems with them.

Comment

Yes, even with chopping mine in I was offered nearly 600 by a reputable uk firm as a part ex deal and you never will get near full value as they have to add vat etc when selling on, plus make a profit. Still got it though.
                          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Is the focus limiter set appropriately for the subject distance? Does changing the limiter make any difference?

Comment

how about this for an alternative

Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X