Live View Underexposure Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live View Underexposure Problem

With a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens attached to a Canon 6D camera (firmware 1.1.8 installed) on a tripod I was experimenting with 1.1 magnifications with TTL meter readings and I noted the following observations:

Between f2.8 and f5 on Manual mode (M) and selected ISO value (rather than Auto ISO) the live view image on the LCD screen and accompanying histogram were about 2 stops underexposed when compared with the mid-centered exposure level indicator and final captured image. Refer to attached images 1 (live view) and 2 (captured view) . The difference between the two images and histograms is quite remarkable. Changing ISO values made no difference. Beyond f5 aperture readings, the before and after images including histograms all coincided and compatibility resumed.

The anomaly disappeared while repeating the same above exercise with Auto ISO, even though the auto value was the same as the selected one above. Live view images, histogram profiles and final captured images were all perfectly equal and compatible. No problems at all. Refer to attached images 3 (live view) and 4 (captured view).

The anomaly also didn't exist when using the same parameters in TV, Av and P modes, again perfect before and after images and exposures, regardless of selected or Auto ISO values.

To further clarify matters, exposure simulation was always enabled and exposure sim warning flashes did not occur. Metering modes had no influence on the results. The subject was a small two dimensional print, mostly of mid-tones, and depth of field was unimportant.

So using Manual mode with non-Auto ISO values with apertures between f2.8 and f5 at close focus distances reveals discrepancies between live view exposures and final taken images. All other potential exposure parameters and modes did not reveal the same resulting discrepancy.

My query is more academic than practical. I have never come across this before because my exposure setting and procedures have never taken me to this extreme application. It is an interesting one, never the less, brought about through experimentation rather than anything else. It does raise some interesting questions as to why this is happening.

There appears to be a live view, captured image compatibly problem only in manual mode with small f numbers, which may only apply to macro lenses at close focus distances. The problem could rest with my equipment alone, or may be a more global anomaly.

Has anyone come across this oddity before?
    Attached Files

Re: Live View Underexposure Problem

Are you saying live view is not an effective live view previewIs it something to do with the LCD backlight?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Hello John and welcome to the Forum.

I have tried to repeat your experiment on my body, but it didn't happen, but I don't have a 6D, therefore the glitch may bee specific to the 6D.

Canon write their firmware for each new body, no doubt the majority of which is based on previous or existing bodies. They then test everything to the 'nth degree and incorporate their findings into the system. Then pre-production bodies are sent out to photographers who are Canon Ambassadors and they are field tested for a period of time. Subject to any problems during Beta testing, the firmware will be finalised for release. Sounds very exacting, but when we get our grubby hands on the cameras we use them in different circumstances and different settings than were originally envisaged and whist it copes nearly all of the time, the odd glitch will show up.

I would have thought this is what you have found John and if a number of you throughout the world report the same thing to Canon, it gets fixed within the next firmware upgrade. During an upgrade, we are told about the headline issues, but I have always understood that a myriad of minor glitches also get fixed.
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Hello John and welcome to the Forum.

I have tried to repeat your experiment on my body, but it didn't happen, but I don't have a 6D, therefore the glitch may bee specific to the 6D.

Canon write their firmware for each new body, no doubt the majority of which is based on previous or existing bodies. They then test everything to the 'nth degree and incorporate their findings into the system. Then pre-production bodies are sent out to photographers who are Canon Ambassadors and they are field tested for a period of time. Subject to any problems during Beta testing, the firmware will be finalised for release. Sounds very exacting, but when we get our grubby hands on the cameras we use them in different circumstances and different settings than were originally envisaged and whist it copes nearly all of the time, the odd glitch will show up.

I would have thought this is what you have found John and if a number of you throughout the world report the same thing to Canon, it gets fixed within the next firmware upgrade. During an upgrade, we are told about the headline issues, but I have always understood that a myriad of minor glitches also get fixed.
        Hello Colin,

Thank you for your input.

Researching this glitch further (see below) I discovered someone who experienced similar problems on a Canon 600D (T3i). This prompted a response from a Canon 5D mk 111 and Canon 5D SR owner. No problems with the latter camera but the same issues were noted with the mk111.

I'm using a Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM on a Canon 600D (T3i) with firmware version 1.0.2. Background When using live view, the camera's exposure simulation seems to automatically account f...

Comment

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I thought at first a fault had occurred in the 6D. Since posting my query I discovered the following site:

Q&A for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers

It seems there may be a bug in the 6D (and other cameras) software which Colin alludes to as well.
          Last edited by JOHN G; 08-04-2018, 14:11.

Comment

Working...
          X