I need help printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help printing

I hadn't been doing a lot of home printing mainly because my printer had got long-in-the-tooth and as the rollers wore it became more and more reluctant to pick-up the heavy photo card I like to use. However, I recently bought a Canon Pixma TS8050 that, with a rear tray for photo card, means I can now print at home again. Well, except that the prints are far too dark and lack the sparkle of what I see on the screen.

I did mention this in another thread <Here> suspecting it may have been my screen was too bright but was reassured that it was OK (as is my tablet and smartphone) and that I should investigate printer settings and/or paper profiles.

I've always used either Windows 'Photos' or 'Photo Gallery' depending on what version of Windows I'm using but looking at printer settings in both I can't see how to increase the brightness.

Google doesn't give any specific advice for my printer but there are indications that I can expect different results when printing from Photoshop over Lightroom so I shouldn't be too surprised that printing from Windows is yet another variable.

My workflow starts with RAW and PP resulting in a 'finished' jpeg and it's this I want to print so having to return to my processing software seems wrong to me as it introduces additional steps.

So, how do people here print?
    Also, what paper should I be buying and are 'paper profiles' only something users of the high-end 'Pro' printers concern themselves with?

Cheers,
    John

Re: I need help printing

I am no expert and may well get shot down . But I do my raw processing in Canons DPP , I then convert to J.peg which I then open up in Elements , I then crop and do further fine adjustments and noise reduction if needed , and sharpen a lot more than I do for photos intended for the net . My Canon Printer also prints a little dark , they are or at least in the past have been notorious for it , so I also lighten them up a little more , confident ( now ) that it will look right when printed . I have not printed on card but use Canon Glossy ll paper , I don`t think it`s particularly expensive and as the printer already has a profile for it it`s easy . It`s very hard to get a print to look spot on as it does on screen , I thinks it`s best not to compare , and just judge the print in it`s own right . If printing in elements , make sure you use the go advanced tab in the printing section , you can select all sorts of things to get the best from your printing . My monitor is calibrated , which I think is well worth doing .

Comment

You need a display calibration tool, it hangs over and sets / calibrates the display monitor output...ie so what you see on the screen is what the printer will print. you will be banging your head up against a wall untill you set the monitor up.
      Last edited by TonyT; 27-04-2018, 09:23.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I am now trying to perfect my printing skills. Though I appreciate that the screen image and printed image cannot match, I at least want to over colours to be similar. I have a couple of Canon EOS bodies, the main one used is a 6D (Mk1). I used DPP, Lightroom and Photoshop. I have a reasonably good monitor in a Dell 27" Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2715Q. I have calibrated the monitor with a Datacolor Spyder 5 Express. I print via a Canon Pixma TS8150 using Canon inks and Canon Pro-Platinum Glossy paper. In colour I get a distinct shift to yellow on printing and in Black and White I get a distinct blue caste. I normally print out of Lightroom. I use standard default settings for printing and set the paper for the correct type. Any advice to improve or pointers to tutorials.

Comment

Sorry folks, I'd forgotten to return to the question I originally asked but thanks for the replies

What I've found is that, important as it may be, screen calibration is not my issue as images are the same on my PC screen, laptop, iPad and smartphone.

In my case I think it's down to the paper used. My original post concerned over dark prints and that was using a generic gloss photo paper (make unknown as packaging lost). However, using a different brand of generic paper (for which the packaging has no makers name!) the results are over bright with a yellow tinge. Both using original Canon inks and printed from Canon's Easy Photo Print.

As neither these papers are of a known brand I can't use an existing profile but can I create one and save it for future use? If not then I'll just use Canon papers and their profile.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
            Sorry folks, I'd forgotten to return to the question I originally asked but thanks for the replies [emoji2]

What I've found is that, important as it may be, screen calibration is not my issue as images are the same on my PC screen, laptop, iPad and smartphone.

In my case I think it's down to the paper used. My original post concerned over dark prints and that was using a generic gloss photo paper (make unknown as packaging lost). However, using a different brand of generic paper (for which the packaging has no makers name!) the results are over bright with a yellow tinge. Both using original Canon inks and printed from Canon's Easy Photo Print.

As neither these papers are of a known brand I can't use an existing profile but can I create one and save it for future use? If not then I'll just use Canon papers and their profile.

Cheers,
            John
            You can get a profile made for your paper or doing it yourself requires some fairly pricy kit. Unless you've got a ton of it I would recommend sticking to branded papers for which profiles are available. It doesn't always have to be Canon other manufacturers often offer generic profiles to download and some offer a printer specific service for their papers

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Printing is a matter of ensuring that what you see is what you get.
              First: The human eye is rubbish at judging whether a monitor is producing the correct colours and brightness (Chrominance and luminance) you have no point of reference so your decision is at best a guess. You need to start by calibrating you monitor using one of the devices that you hang on the screen.
              Once this is done, you can be sure that what you see on the screen is correct.
              Next the printing end of the process. So long as you are using manufacturers ink and a branded photo paper (Canon or Permajet) you will be able to get an accurate print profile from the paper manufacturer for your printer. You will need to load this profile to your computer.
              Finally the software to do the job. In your case the software that you are using to print has no control over the accuracy of the printer as it delegates the process to the printer. You do, however have the ability to print from DPP which has the ability to take control.
              In the file menu the is an option: Print with detailed settings. If you click on this option there are tabs for various settings you can alter. At the bottom of the first tab is an item: CMS Settings click on this. You will be presented with two boxes Printing profile and CMYK Simulation. Click on the down arrow on the Printing Profile box and a list of installed profiles will appear. (There may be many) scroll down to the one for your paper an click on it. Then click OK.
              This will have loaded the appropriate profile and the software will use this to control the printer. Hit print at the bottom of the tabs.
              Happy printing.
              Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 29-08-2018, 22:22.
              Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Thanks Alan, I appreciate the advice and keeping the thread alive.

I think I'm now sold on the idea of calibrating my monitor so what device suggestions would people give?

Cheers,
                John

Comment

I use the spyder5 elite+ to calibrate my monitor
                  Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I use the Spyder 5 Elite but to be honest most people will only need the Syder 5 Pro
                    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X