Farne Islands and Bempton Cliffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My photography buddy quite fancies a trip to the Farne Islands and probably Bempton Cliffs on the way home and I think that's a good idea for some photographic indulgence. He has a couple of problems in that he is a little shaky with his legs and needs to rest often during a long trek, scrabbling over big rocks is a no no and being in his late 70's on just a state pension, luxury hotels are off the agenda.

He isn't on the internet, so it's down to me to arrange everything and as it's not exactly my back yard, I was hoping for some advice from the Forum. Here are my initial thoughts:

• Probably going second week in mid June, possibly two and I want Puffins with sand eels and diving Gannets. Is my timing good or should I go earlier/later?

• Where to stay? Any inexpensive suggestions?

• Is there a choice of boats to the islands and if so, who best to go with?

• Do we need to book boat trips in advance, or is it a case of turn up very early on the day?

• We are probably looking to maximise the number of boat trips, but where else would you suggest we visit while in the area. Doesn't just have to be wildlife; landscape, or anything of photographic merit would be interesting.

Grateful for any help.
    Colin

Re: Farne Islands and Bempton Cliffs

Dee and I are making our annual trip to both Bempton and the Farnes as part of a holiday in Northumberland end of May into June.

Probably going second week in mid June, possibly two and I want Puffins with sand eels and diving Gannets. Is my timing good or should I go earlier/later?
    timing is about right for puffins with sand eels and plenty of gannet action, although most diving action seems to have been captured on a boat trip rather than from the cliffs

Where to stay? Any inexpensive suggestions?
    Bempton - in the past we have based ourselves at the Premier Inn in Scarborough and coupled the trip with a day in Whitby but this year we booked a couple of nights in Filey via Expedia

For our week in Northumberland, we have a cottage at Seahouses within walking distance of the harbour and booked through Northumbria Coast and Country Cottages, 1 bed, wi fi etc for £370 for the week

Is there a choice of boats to the islands and if so, who best to go with?
    At Bempton, the RSPB have trips which run at the weekends - not been on one as we have always been during the week

For Farne, Billy Shiel is the one to use, they are the only boats offering daily full day trips to both Staple and Inner Farne but as with most trips they are very much weather dependent and last time we went, in the end all we were able to do was a half day to Inner Farne as it was too choppy to land on Staple, which is the island we find to be the most productive.

This tour is particularly suitable for the enthusiastic ornithologist and photographer or anyone who simply wishes to spend more time observing the wealth of nesting species. The trip departs daily from Seahouses harbour at 9.30 am and only runs during the breeding season.

Unlike Skomer, you dont need to be there at the crack of dawn but probably wise to reserve tickets the day before.

Enjoy

Stan
    Last edited by Stan; 10-04-2018, 10:56.
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Colin message Steve Dawes he went last year and used a boat that allowed for longer stays ,as some of them only allow a short time limit on the islands , bempton cliffs is my fave place to visit as often the gannets will be at head height as they come in to the nests ,and you can also get superb shots of all the other birds to ,i.e guillemots ,razorbills ,puffins ,fulmars etc all up close and there’s always raptors on the prowl to .
      Your timing is spot on as well ,I might even be up there myself funds permitting ,plenty of caravan sites in the area close to bempton depending on length of stay .

Comment

Hotels near RSPB Bempton Cliffs, Bempton on Tripadvisor: Find 32,293 traveler reviews, 1,578 candid photos, and prices for 245 hotels near RSPB Bempton Cliffs in Bempton, England.

Does that help.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Great information already, looking forward to planning this.
          Colin

Comment

We are visiting Bempton on the 22/23rd June and have booked the boat trip for the second day. On the Friday we will be up on the cliffs at Bempton. The idea is to get the best of both worlds, we did just the cliffs last year. Our last trip was 9/10th June 2017 and there were no babies yet, we did see a kittiwake on eggs though. This is why we have booked for just a little later this year.

Regarding the Farne Islands, I have been on two seal watching trips there, once with Billy Shiels and the other with Serendipity. The latter was a catmaran and it enabled us to get closer in to the islands, which was a bit hairy but gave better opportunities for photography. Both trips were the wrong time of year for the puffins so we didn't land on the islands.
            Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

I forgot to talk about where to stay.

For Bempton we booked a B&B in Bridlington last year, only 4 miles to drive to Bempton from there. This year we will also be in Bridlington, which is where the boat sails from.

For our two trips to the Farne Islands we stayed in a cottage in Beadnell the first time (next village along to Seahouses where the boats sail from) and the second year we stayed in Bamburgh. Bamburgh gave me the opportunity to walk down to the beach/castle before sunrise, leaving everyone else asleep in bed. Beadnell was cheaper, a smaller cottage and all on one floor (ground). Bamburgh was a stunning apartment, but on the second floor so involved traipsing up steep steps at the end of each day.

Hope this helps, anyway.
              Last edited by Carol; 16-04-2018, 10:01.
              Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

We stayed in a cottage in Embleton, about 15 min drive to Seahouses. Nice small village that's handy for the coast to take shots of Dunstanburgh Castle. Obviously weather is a factor for visiting the Farne Islands and we always plan a couple of trips, 2 or more days apart, in case one gets cancelled due to the weather.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Colin sorry I’m a bit late to respond to this thread, I was talking to a couple of photographers whilst I was at Thorp Perrow attempting to capture birds in flight!
                  They recommend a photographer who runs workshops including some at Bempton Cliffs. One of which is from a boat for diving Gannet images. I’m in no way suggesting that you need a tutor for this type of photography. But the access to a boat could add another dimension to the visit for you.
                  Whilst I have no experience (or connection) to the workshop photographer I am going on an event he runs at a bird of prey centre near Helmsley. Let me know when you intend to visit Bempton as I may be able to meet you there if I have the date free.

I don’t know how to add a link whilst using Tapatalk so I will just insert a full URL to the Bempton workshop I mentioned above.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Colin we have booked a week from the 10th June for a trip to bempton ,I'll message you before going if theres a chance of a meet up ,if planning a boat trip this one is probably best

big boat which is obviously more stable and a few different trips a day and also cheaper .

Comment

I would like to get up there but it's one hell of a drag from my place
                      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
                      X