Sometimes we get a surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes we get a surprise

Have you ever taken an image, and by the time, you've sorted it, rated it, processed it, named it, tagged it and put it on Flickr you've not rated it yourself because you feel that it just didn't have "the something"

This was me yesterday with this one. Taken same time as my other Orchid shot, I took this one, different type of orchid and this time lit from behind. I like it... but its just missing something I felt.

But then Flickr happens.

It hit Explore. Well over four thousand views. Loads of likes/faves my phone peeping that much with notifications about it that I had to turn the ringer off at work.

So I ask do we truly value our images? Or do we get to the stage where we don't see what we saw when we first looked through the view finder and thought, "Thats a good shot!" simply because we spend that much time with them afterwards...

[IMG]Back lit Orchid by Dee Gee, on Flickr[/IMG]

Canon EOS 500D
    EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
    ƒ/5.6
    50.0 mm
    1/60
    Flash (off, did not fire)

Ps I know this is possibly a deep thought at this time of day.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Re: Sometimes we get a surprise

Here's how I think it works Di:

• You have an image in mind.

• You take the image.

• You view the image on the camera rear screen.

• You refine it in DPP.

• You make some final tweaks in Photoshop.

• You upload it to Flickr.

• You view the image in Flickr.

• You publish the image to EOS Forum.

That's 8 times you have viewed the image and you are so familiar with it, it isn't special anymore, even though you are still quite pleased with it. The rest of us see it here for the first time and think WOW, I wish I had taken that!

I am often surprised by members reactions to some of my shots and accepted that this is a very friendly Forum, where members tend to be kind and helpful with their comments, some of their reactions are above what I would reasonably expect. That is why I believe that our over familiarity with an image is often at variance to how others see it for the first time.

Just my thoughts on it , but lie back and enjoy the experience.
    Colin

Comment

Something magic about that image Dee, lovely

Stephen
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Nicely composed Di, looks much better on Flickr.

Tom

Comment

Thank you.
          Glad you like. It's just took me by surprise. [emoji2]

Di.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

A super image indeed...and nice to have it seen by so many..
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Well I love it too, Di. Perhaps sometimes you are focussing so much on the shot in your head - in this case I imagine bringing out the detail of the central part and ensuring the composition is right, that you don't step back and say, wow, those curves in the background seem to follow the lines of the middle thing (sorry I don't know any technical terms!) so perfectly, and suggests a gorgeous spiral too. And maybe that could be a bird unfurling its wings, or an angel, or... And then you love it.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                Well I love it too, Di. Perhaps sometimes you are focussing so much on the shot in your head - in this case I imagine bringing out the detail of the central part and ensuring the composition is right, that you don't step back and say, wow, those curves in the background seem to follow the lines of the middle thing (sorry I don't know any technical terms!) so perfectly, and suggests a gorgeous spiral too. And maybe that could be a bird unfurling its wings, or an angel, or... And then you love it. [emoji106]
                Thanks you Alex. Made my day [emoji2]

Di.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X