Flamborugh Head, Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flamborugh Head, Yorkshire

Which composition do you prefer from these two taken last year? I know they are not perfect, but want to learn how to do a better job next time. I know now my settings were wrong. Needed a smaller aperture and less shutter speed.

Flamborough Head, Yorkshire by Carol Leather, on Flickr

Flamborough Head, Yorkshire by Carol Leather, on Flickr
    Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Re: Flamborugh Head, Yorkshire

That's a really interesting question, Carol, because on the face of it they both have been constructed perfectly according to the 'standard guidance' (I don't particularly like the word rules) in that horizons are on the thirds and both have lead in lines from the corners. But for some reason neither excites me, sorry. Albeit both look better with the extra detail on Flickr. And yes, as you say, greater depth of field would have helped.
    On the first I think it is because the cliff dominates so much that you aren't sure whether the shot is about that or the landscape beyond. I see you are at the 24mm end of your 10-24, perhaps wider would have helped to see more of the shoreline? As it stands I think I would suggest cropping down the top 1/5th to make it a bit more letterboxy. I know that brings the horizon up, but I think it brings your attention back down to the textures in the foreground.
    On the second I like the dog in the corner as that provides interest right out on the frame, and composition wise I have nothing to suggest, it is just that the lighting is a bit flat, and could perhaps be processed with a bit more 'oomph' to add more contrast into the mass of white rocks on the left.
    Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not saying I would have done any better on either, just the thought process I think I'd go through if they were mine.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thank you Alex, that is very helpful.

Yes, better lighting would definitely have helped, I agree. My lightroom skills are okish, but I don't really know my way around Photoshop yet so not sure I can do any better with the processing.

I guess you have to have exciting views in front of you to get exciting photos, LOL. Good point about zooming out on the first one, I should have done that. Strange how you get into the habit of mainly sticking to the long end when shooting birds and that carries forward when you use a wide angle. Really don't have a lot of experience when doing landscapes, but am willing to learn.

Carol
      Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

I tried cropping as suggested. Any better?

Flamborough Head - cropped by Carol Leather, on Flickr
        Regards,

Carol

Comment

Interesting. I had been thinking to leave the width and just take off the top because I quite liked that texture on the right hand rock face. But what you've done works better, I think because it turns the seaweed line into a massive lead in line. I prefer it; interested to hear what others think.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I think the the photos are what they are ,but that’s
            due more to the poor light on the day than any technical faults ,you really need sunlight on these type of shots ,early morning would change these dramatically .taken at the bottom of Danes dyke if I’m not mistaken ,hell of a walk back up LOL

Comment

Absolutely correct, Jeff, bottom of Danes Dyke and a steep walk back up! We had spent the day at Bempton and discovered this by accident on the way back to our digs. I would have liked to have stayed around for the light to improve but hubby was champing at the bit for the pub.
              Regards,

Carol

Comment

Working...
              X