Kit for Yorkshire Dales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kit for Yorkshire Dales

I wonder if anyone can help me work out what to take on our trip in just under two weeks time. We will be walking a lot so I want to keep it minimal while still having the option to take both landscape and birds/red squirrel shots.

I have two main cameras, the Canon 5dm2 and the Canon 7dm2. I prefer the quality from the 5dm2 although wonder if I need both in order to get shots of the Peregrines at Malham Cove? The 5d is obviously better for the landscapes.

I have a monopod or a carbon fibre tripod. Not sure which would be best - perhaps the tripod as I would like to try some waterfall shots?

Lenses? I am thinking the 10-24mm (designed for crop cameras, but can be used from 15mm up on the ff), 24-105mm and my 100-400mm would cover the range. Not sure whether to add the 100mm macro, may take it but only use it around the cottage we are staying in to keep the weight down on our walks. Would it be wise to add the 70-200mm f2.8 to the bag to enable the wider aperature?

Being diabetic, I also need to take my blood sugar monitoring equipment, insulin and snacks, which all add to the weight.

We will be staying in Langcliffe near Settle, so if anyone has any ideas for quiet places to visit and take photos (away from the crowds) please feel free to make suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Re: Kit for Yorkshire Dales

The wide end is not the deciding factor because 10-22 on 7D2 gives a 16mm equivalent at the wide end....and as you say works at 15mm on the 5D2....so maybe the crop body is best as it will give you the longest reach with the telephoto zooms. I'd say the 100mm is the obvious one to leave out (unless you have macro on the agenda)....and again if reach is important then the 100-400 is better than the 70-200....giving a 560mm equivalent rather than 320mm on the crop body.

I'd take both bodies, 10-22, 100-400 and 24-105 for mid range....the second body is a much lighter and a smaller extra than another lens...then you can be satisfied you have best for landscape and birds. definitely the tripod for slow shots or maybe a robust gorilla pod is easy to pack and light.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thank you Brian. You have some very good points. I think I will take both cameras on holiday, and leave the 70-200 at home along with the macro lens. I may pop in the 50mm 1.8 as it is very light and may be useful when I don't want to carry much at all.

The idea behind the macro was for wild flowers and things growing between the limestone, but it may be easier to carry extension tubes.

Regards,

Carol
      Regards,

Carol

Canon 5D mk ii, iii and 7D mk 2, 100-400mm L IS II, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon L 100mm macro, Canon L 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f1.8,

Comment

Would the monopod not make a substitute walking pole? I have a Leki walking pole designed to act as a monopod but other than a light camera and lens it is not very stable.
        Enjoy your trip.
        Dave
        Dave , France 79

Comment

Thank you, Dave. I do have a lightweight walking pole which will be going with me, but yours is a good idea.
          Regards,

Carol

Comment

Working...
          X