Hi All!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All!

Hi. I'm Jase in Norfolk! Got an EOS 1300D for my birthday and am a relative novice! Had a Canon Bridge camera but wanted to progress. Didn't research enough when buying a lens and bought an FD 70-210mm.......stupid!!!! Want to be able to take pics about 2050/300yds away! What would i need? Help! Looked at a Jintu 420/800mm Full Frame F/8.3-16 Telephoto MZ Lens. Is that too much too soon? Birds (Feathered!) and Sport are my main pic subjects! Looking forward to learning tips and seeing some pics on here!!!!

Re: Hi All!

Hi Jase and welcome to the EOS Forum.

The Jintu 420/800mm looks just the thing on paper, giving you all the lens sizes you could wish for Birds and sport photography. In the opinion of many, it is an extremely useful paperweight. Assuming the optical quality is OK, which I suspect it isn't, F8.3 - F16 just doesn't gather enough light to give you the shutter speeds necessary for your chosen subjects. Much better off looking for something Canon with an F stop of F4, or F5.6.

It doesn't have to be new, there are plenty of carefully used lenses out there and Sigma lenses are also worth a look, but I would stay clear of inexpensive Chinese lenses. Unfortunately with lenses, you generally get what you pay for.
    Colin

Comment

Hi Colin.
      Thanks for the info. Did wonder about the unknown name and low price of it! Prefer a Canon zoom but, genuinely, have no idea what the numbers and letters mean! I REALLY AM a novice! Lol! All help and advice i greatly received!

Comment

Welcome Jase!

You don't give a budget but looking at the Jintu (I'd never heard of it!) and the price of it I suspect that the usual recommendations will be out of your price range, e.g. secondhand versions of Canon 100-400mm zoom or 400mm prime or the Sigma 150-600mm will be of the order of £600 minimum.

I would happily recommend the Canon EF-S 55-250mm as it's a great lens for the money, although given that you've already tried the 70-210 and decided there's not enough reach then I suspect that it won't work for you. You could try it in combination with a 1.4x converter but that will also restrict what you can do due to the higher maximum aperture of f/8 and you won't get any auto-focus on your 1300D.

Unfortunately, I think that your choices are probably down to increasing your budget or getting a lot closer to your subjects.

Also, to get a grip with the numbers & letters, look up Exposure Triangle such as here https://fstoppers.com/education/expo...together-72878

But above all, take lots of pictures and have fun!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Welcome Jase to the forums.

Chris he never tried the lens it think you will find, it will not fit.

Didn't research enough when buying a lens and bought an FD 70-210mm
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I would add that you want to set a budget and buy the best lens you can for it, cheap lenses might seem a good idea but as you improve etc you will find yourself spending twice to get the quality you desire, the lens is the cameras eye and the quality of that is the single most important thing to getting good images, it is your window onto the world and the quality can be like looking through crystal clean windows or dirty ones.

I have bought secondhand in the past and will do again, because I would rather have a good cheap secondhand sharp lens than a bad cheap soft new lens.

First off you want an EF lens NOT an FD, as that was the old mount standard and will not fit as you probably found out.

If you ever want to progress up to a full frame camera (Full frame equates to the old 35mm film camera size images, this will explain the differences https://expertphotography.com/5-step...e-crop-factor/ ) then I would avoid EF-S lenses as they will not fit on a full framed camera. and the EF-M is a smaller lens used on some of the compact mirrorless cameras.

F numbers or aperture is an iris in the lens that opens up to allow in more light, the lower the number the more light it lets in so the faster the lens as in it allows you to shoot in darker conditions at greater speeds, another effect of this is the focal length is shorter so a footballer may be in focus but everything behind him will be blurred out etc making for a better photo, you can by adjusting the F stop increase the area in focus thus bringing more of it into focus. but the lower number tends to make the lenses more expensive as the lens and glass will be bigger. you will see sometine 2 f numbers quoted, this is one number for the lens at say 70mm and the other for the lens at 200mm.
            See
            In this article, we will go over f-stop, f-number and aperture, and how they are all related. Knowing these concepts is critical for any type of photography.

IS this is image stabilsation, as a rule you tend to shoot a camera at an equal number to the lens to avoid shake etc, a 200mm lens the slowest recommended is 1/200th of a second, a 20mm lens 1/20th of a second etc, a 500mm lens 1/500th of a second, IS allows you to take them slower, by basically counter acting any shake, I can with the aid of a monopod shoot down around 1/80th of a second with my 500mm lens.

USM, this is a type of focus motor and means a lens will focus faster, see

L is Canons professional Luxury range of lenses, you often see at football matches etc and tend to be white in colour for the big lenses, they tend to be heavier, better built, more rugged and mainly metal in construction.

EF 70-200mm F/2.8 IS L USM Lens

So this lens is and EF lens for an EOS camera, it is a 70-200mm zoom. the Aperture is 2.8 so it is a fast lens ideal for low light, It is Image stabilised to assist in reducing blur and to allow to use at slower speeds, it is a luxury lens and from the proffessional range and has a fast USM motor installed.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM

So this lens is and EF lens for an EOS camera, it is a 70-300mm zoom. the Aperture is 4.0 at 70mm and 5.6 at 300mm It is Image stabilised to assist in reducing blur and to allow to use at slower speeds, it is a none luxury model and has a fast USM motor installed. but is a good lens overall, I used to have one.

Teleconvertors, or extenders as canon call them

These increase the telephoto properties of lenses but reduce the aperture of the lens and slows down autofocus.
            BEWARE YOU CANNOT USE THESE ON ALL OF CANONS LENSES.

List of lenses that can use them

Last edited by TonyT; 21-04-2018, 11:42.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony!
              That all helps massively! Still a bit bamboozled by it all, but will endeavour to learn!

Comment

Jase, these people do an adaptor to use the FD lens, but as I have never used one, so I cannot comment on it,

I do have a different make FD to an Eos adaptor on a tamron 500 mirror I do no longer use, but it only enables it fixed F stop which the lens is and manual focus.
                Last edited by TonyT; 21-04-2018, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaliachar View Post
                  Thanks Tony!
                  That all helps massively! Still a bit bamboozled by it all, but will endeavour to learn!
                  We are here to help, partly because we are a friendly Forum and partly because we were all once where you are now.
                  Colin

Comment

Yep, I would be lost figuring out say a Nikon lens, so can understand the problems Jase has, hence the long reply :)

Stick with it bud,it is rewarding :)

Comment

Welcome Jase , it can seem daunting but once you get to grips with the basics you will find it drops into place. Would echo everything the guys above say particularly the choice between a cheap new lens and a second hand Canon one , there really is no comparison. Look forward to seeing some of your work as you progress and you are in a great part of the country for birds and wildlife photography so good luck.
                      Steve ( LSINWP )
                      1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Welcome and what all the others said

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Tom

Comment

After a few failed Bids and an extended case against a dodgy ebayer, I'm back on the trail of a decent zoom lens! Would the Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 Autofocus Zoom do what I require? Will it fit my 1300D?

Comment

It should, I used to have the 70-300 which was the earlier IS version. IS would be better in my opinion as it helps, it totally depends on budget. Read some reviews of the different lenses.

Read some reviews here

Find out what 12 readers thought of the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III in our review.

Btw check out these

From a good dealer so you have some comeback

Lenses they have available

Last edited by TonyT; 23-05-2018, 19:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X