Just like busses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just like busses.

Having lunch & there was a Hare in the garden. finished lunch went out in the field & there was 3 together. Got within 50 yds at one point, standing up with a tripod & they just were not bothered.

4S7A0956 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

These two paired off & left the third alone.
    4S7A0963 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

Re: Just like busses.

What am I doing wrong? Hares get loads of comments on here, yet nothing on mine. Is it soft, ,wrong colours, what? Some answers would help me improve.

Comment

I'm not sure why this hasn't received any comments. From my point of view, I'd not seen this post first time round and I don't have time to view, let alone comment on, every one anyway! I'm no expert on shooting hares but hopefully here are some constructive comments.

They both look a little soft on here but are better when viewed on Flickr. The second one is by far the better shot for me as it is less messy than the first and has a better composition. Even so, it does look a little soft when viewed up close on Flickr but there's no EXIF data so I can't try to work out why. It could be one or more of: too slow a shutter speed for the reach, too narrow a DOF or just camera shake. I don't think the flat light has helped but there's not much you can do about that.

I hope that helps a bit!
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Comment

First I've seen of this thread Dave.

I agree with Chris though - they do look better on Flickr and I prefer the second one too.

I love hares and I would really like to get a "head on" shot of a hare, but sadly we seldom see hares on my daily stamping grounds - plenty of deer, loads of owls, but I have yet to see a hare!
          Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Thanks Jock, contact me if your around for Enchanted Forest.

Comment

Sorry David, not been on much of late, busy with Holidays, then getting back and sorting garden along with all the Flying at Coningsby.

Lucky to get them close like that, I see it occasionally but usually at a distance. They are such fascinating animals, lots to know about them, if you are interested, have a look at a book by Christine Gregory about Hares in Derbyshire, it's really interesting.

Well done for getting close, but be careful, they can easily become an obsession!!

Paul
              Last edited by pelliott1954; 25-04-2018, 22:14.

Comment

Just seen these today , they do look better on Flikr , 2nd photo is better to my eye , looking at the movement on the stretching Hares ear and back leg , it looks like your shutter speed was a touch risky . The eye looks sharp enough though . Lot of people would be chuffed with these , so give yourself a pat on the back . Not commenting much on photos lately , think a lot of members are relying on cropping and photoshop skills , rather than field craft and camera skills , and it`s not worth taking the flak for . I know you don`t , or at least didn`t mess with your photos much , so you done well . I would try and go for individual Hares , getting more than one in focus at the focal length we generally need is very hard .

Comment

Sorry David just seen this one. As the others stated they look much better on flickr. Don’t know if you did any adjustments on the image, but for me they look a bit over sharpened.

Tom

Comment

Hi David, just got round to looking in. Agree with the comments above, but like I've said before if you like them that all that matters. I would be very pleased if they were my shots, having lost count of the last time I saw an Hare - we are talking years.
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
                    X