At first glance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first glance

Passers-by could be forgiven for not immediately spotting this unique home for a real life saver.

Put your hands together for the good people of Grasmere in England's beautiful Lake District for thoughtfully repurposing this redundant telephone kiosk, or 'phone box' as we used to call them.

Defibrillator_8694 by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

Re: At first glance

It's a good use of the Boxes, such a shame to see them fall into disrepair, who can remember them with A and B buttons and 'tapping' out numbers for free calls?

Paul

Comment

Nice image

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
        It's a good use of the Boxes, such a shame to see them fall into disrepair, who can remember them with A and B buttons and 'tapping' out numbers for free calls?

Paul
        I can just, there were still a few about when I was a lad. I don't know about tapping out numbers but I do remember that we used to press the buttons when we passed one in case someone had forgotten to do so after they'd finished their call, occasionally we'd get lucky and get a few pence back...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

What a good idea...I take it there is no phone in there at all....
          I too remember tapping free calls.....cant remember how successful it was though.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

An excellent use for an iconic design which are no longer needed for their original purpose as most people have mobile phones

I don't know about tapping out numbers but I do remember that we used to press the buttons when we passed one in case someone had forgotten to do so after they'd finished their call, occasionally we'd get lucky and get a few pence back...
            I remember doing that as well
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              What a good idea...I take it there is no phone in there at all....
              I too remember tapping free calls.....cant remember how successful it was though.
              It is a nice image and good use of the box.

The other fiddle I recall (after STD was introduced) was to use a chain of local dialling codes to make a call to a far distant number - it used to work quite well!
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Nice comments everyone, thanks.

I can remember tapping the numbers too. I tried a "lucky dip" as a dare, and got through to the ambulance station - hung up PDQ !!!

Steve.

Comment

Nice image and I'm afraid I too can remember the A and B buttons. Dare I say the good old days!

Brian
                  http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Working...
                  X