EOS magazine advert
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I upload my pics now...?

Member*

Default How do I upload my pics now...?

...that flickr have over to Smugmug? I've no intention of paying, what will doubt become, rather high prices. I've just manually gone through the posting pictures forum but I didn't find an alternative to flickr.
    Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168448632@N02/

Default Re: How do I upload my pics now...?

SmugMug said no changes would be made to Flickr’s current plans or rates: “Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers.”

Member*

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Scott View Post
    SmugMug said no changes would be made to Flickr’s current plans or rates: “Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers.”
    I've just been on the SmugMug site and there is not any sign of a free posting option. There is a 'basic' plan that is stated in US dollars of, I think, $3.99. Wikipedia state that SmugMug is a paid for hosting site. Can anyone confirm or deny this, please?
    Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

Flickr is still on its own website. You should be able to log in with your old settings.

Member*

Quote Originally Posted by Ems View Post
    Flickr is still on its own website. You should be able to log in with your old settings.
    Ems, I have downloaded/uploaded all my 'pics' from flickr onto my Elements 13 on my pc. I received an email from flickr saying that I had until the end of this month to move my 'pics' or they would automatically go onto Smugmug and they would automatically come under Smugmug's terms and conditions. I have also closed my flickr account because it, to, comes under Smugmugs terms and conditions. I think that I have all that correct.

Thanks for the info. I've just found my email from Flickr in my BTMail spam folder. Looks like I'm in the same boat as you.

Emyr

Member*

Nothing is going to happen to Flickr.com as such, not any time soon anyway. It's just that what are currently Flickr's terms & conditions will be come under Smugmug. If you don't want to accept Smugmug's T&Cs then you have the option of removing your photos, closing your Flickr account and hosting them elsewhere. FWIW, I'll be sticking with Flickr under its new ownership for the time being.

Have a read of this: https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...7692729336502/
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Member*

I've had a read of the link you suggested. It still is, I think, as I understand. That is, if you don't want to accept the Smugmug terms then you need to remove your pictures from flickr by the end of this month and also close your flickr account.

I did notice two or three lines that say that for the time being flickr will still offer a free access to it. But you don't want to accept the Smugmug terms then you have to close your flickr account and remove your pictures.

How then can you still use a free flickr option if you have to do as flickr/Smugmug tell you? I can't find anywhere where you can reopen or renew a flickr account. Does anyone know differently?

Member*

When you first signed up to Flickr you will have had to accept their terms and conditions. As Smugmug now own Flickr you need to accept Smugmug's T&Cs instead.

Obviously if you don't want to accept their T&Cs you will no longer be able to use Flickr.

What is in Smugmug's T&Cs that weren't in Flickr's and that you are reluctant to accept?
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Just my thoughts on this:

I used to use Photobucket as my free hosting site. When Photobucket decided to charge a fee for this service, I closed my account and joined Flickr. I understand that Smumug charge a fee for hosting photo's and although at the moment my Flickr account can be migrated to Smugmug without any fee in the short term, there are no guarantees that the situation will remain.

As far as I am aware, Flickr is the only free hosting site and I would strongly suspect that part of Smugmug's business model for the purchase of Flickr is to introduce a fee in the near future. No reason why not, as there is no competition offering a free hosting service.

When this happens, I will have to decide what this service is worth to me, against what they are looking to charge me. I like the convenience of Flickr (Smugmug) and I like the quality that I and others can view my images at, but my only other option is a direct upload, where the quality suffers.

So, I suppose it is "watch this space" and see whether they are going to be sensible, or greedy with their fees.
    Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast