Long exposures from the South Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long exposures from the South Bank

I got a 10 stop ND filter at Christmas and yesterday was the first chance I'd had to take it out, so here are 3 shots from various points on the South Bank looking across to St Paul's. Yesterday was pretty hit and miss regarding weather, it was sunshine and showers most of the day.
    I'm not convinced that the 'long exposure' aspects came through particularly well, so grateful as always for your thoughts, comments and suggestions.

I stood next to my tripod through 5 minutes of rain for this one thinking 'the sun's bound to pop out soon'. Thankfully it did. The few onlookers must of thought me mad as they ran for cover.

St Paul's Cathedral in sun
    by AlexR!, on Flickr

And two from the bank by the Millennium Bridge:

St Paul's and Millennium Bridge 1
    by AlexR!, on Flickr

St Paul's and Millennium Bridge 2
    by AlexR!, on Flickr
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Long exposures from the South Bank

That's a nice set of shots and the mono works well. Only the third one shows any indication that it's a LE shot. If I had to pick a favourite, I think it would be the first, with St Paul's lit up by the sun amid the gloom. Or maybe it's the last one. But then the second is good too...
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris. I converted them all to mono because that seems to suit them, but perhaps it is because I have gone for quite contrasty conversions, it has put ripples back into the water. For example, the colour version of the second is below, and that seems more obviously LE:

St Paul's and Millennium Bridge 1 in colour
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Nice set, agree the mono versions suit the subject best. Number 1 is great with the sun on St Pauls
        Andrew

Comment

I like the second one best...maybe f16 would have yielded a longer exposure to give more of an LE effect....they are more successful than any of my LE efforts so I’m in no position to advise from experience
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Nice set Alex, but the 2nd image just pops for me. Well done on that one Alex

Tom

Comment

Thanks Andrew, Brian and Tom for your comments. And yes I should have gone up to f16 or so, I always worry about moving so far from the lens 'sweet spot' but it probably wouldn't have been noticeable and the water would have been improved. Lesson learned, as I said it was my first time out and that's the point of trying then sharing with you guys.
              Canon EOS 7D

Comment

I know people say the L lenses are just more robust but I think they have better optical consistency across most of their range....I’m sure I’ve seen a really good landscape on here with the 24-105 at f16
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                X