6D Mkll to replace 5D Mklll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6D Mkll to replace 5D Mklll

I'm thinking of changing over from my 5D Mklll to a 6D Mkll. I have compared their specs and know that I would benefit from having an articulated rear screen, Wi Fi, GPS, NFC, and Bluetooth. A weight saving too is a bonus. I don't do sports or action photography, and have no real need for two card slots. I know about the fewer number of focus points on the 6D Mkll and cannot see that as an issue for me. I can't afford a 5D Mkiv and it has no articulated screen anyway. I don't believe that there will be any picture quality loss with the 6D Mkll and high ISO is about the same as the 5D Mklll I'm led to believe.
    So I'm wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts and if I have overlooked some glaring difference between the two models. Many thanks.

Re: 6D Mkll to replace 5D Mklll

I was attracted to the same proposition because of the advantages you mention...of which I find useful on my 200D....but I understood hi iso performance was no better than the original 6D if not a step back which put me off. Hence there would be a performance step backwards for the gain of features. I guess you have to decide which is more important to you. I decided to wait and hope a 5D MkV would have performance gains and those features included and gives more time to save up. I think I’d miss the advanced focussing if I had changed too.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I sold my 5DMKIII and got the 6DMKII. Love the camera. Lighter, the articulating screen is great. I feel that overall it was a goos upgrade.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
        I sold my 5DMKIII and got the 6DMKII. Love the camera. Lighter, the articulating screen is great. I feel that overall it was a goos upgrade.

Tom
        That's what matters, if it's what you want in a camera, then it's the perfect one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Steady....else I’ll be reconsidering myself!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. At the moment I am very much leaning towards getting the 6D Mk ll as it ticks most of the boxes for me. I've read quite a few reviews on it and there is a lot being said about it's dynamic range being slightly less than the old 6D. I agree, it's very fair criticism and somewhat surprising that in six years it's not really a forwards step. However, the dynamic range on the 6D Mk ll is slightly better than the 5D Mk lll which is a camera that has won many plaudits over the years. For myself this is a non-issue as most of us would be hard pressed to notice any difference in the real world and even Nina Bailey regards discussions about dynamic range as of little interest when she gave her verdict on the 6D Mk ll in the last issue of EOS Magazine. Finally, DxO tests give the 6D Mk ll the fifth best score of all Canon digital cameras. I don't always hold with such findings but it is still a useful exercise in camera comparisons. Any way, thanks again for all your comments regarding my post. Are then any 6D Mk ll users who would like to share their experiences so far with their camera?

Comment

Hi Tom and just wondering how it's been going with the 6D Mk ll?

Comment

If you do not mind a grey import, I would check out Panamoz, what you pay is inclusive of taxes etc, I myself have a grey import 1dx and cannot fault it.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by pipflash51 View Post
                  Hi Tom and just wondering how it's been going with the 6D Mk ll?
                  I have no issues with my 6DMKII. I find it to be a much better feel than the 5 DMIII and it seems a bit lighter to carry. I know the 6DMKII has only 1 slot verse the 2 on the 5DMKIII for Flash/SD Cards, but that has not been an issue for me. I use the 6DMKII mostly for Landscape and shooting with no flash for Church events and it preforms very well. With the New Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 I’m now also using it for Street photography.

Don’t regret sell the 5DMKIII

Tom

Comment

Thanks everyone and just to let you know that I’ve gone for the 6D Mk ll yesterday and got it from London Camera Exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by pipflash51 View Post
                      Thanks everyone and just to let you know that I’ve gone for the 6D Mk ll yesterday and got it from London Camera Exchange.
                      I’m sure you are going to be very pleased with your choice.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X